Windows 7 can't delete history in internet explorer

mikedot

I go to tools, delete forms, history, and the rest, and there are about 20 websites in history that keep showing up when I go type a web address. I've tried CWShredder (says it doesn't exist on my computer). I've tried Spybot (which I did first) (showed coolwebsearch when it did a scan, then supposedly deleted it). I've tried Malware anti-bytes. I tried to try Stopzilla and Spyware Doctor, but they make you pay for it.

How can I possibly delete the history/ urls that keep showing up? This is so frustrating!

Hi

Did you try CCleaner?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Unless something strange is going on CCleaner will remove all of the junk including you browser history.
It will also clean up your temp files empty the trash and get rid of cookies, and all the left over stuff that Windows doesn't.

It's safe, my guess is that everyone on this forum uses it.

Note that it will remove all cookies unless you go into Options / Cookies, and tell it which one you want to keep.

Do this before you run it for the first time or they will all disappear.

I run it every day when I shut down my computer so that I can start clean the next day.

Mike

You might want to look at Defraggler from the same company.
A disk defragger that work better then any thing else I've tried.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you are talking about Internet Explorer then try it with your browser closed.
Open Control Panel and select "Internet Options" (may have to change control panel view by: drop down to small icons..... top right corner)
General tab->Browsing History-> Delete Button -> make your selections as needed (read carefully) and click the Delete button.
Other browsers might be different but will likely have similar options and functions.
I often find Ccleaner does an adequate job of doing tasks like this but again if you have configured it to preserve certain things or allow it to decide what it thinks you want to keep then it will leave bits and pieces.
Regards
Randy

I go to tools, delete forms, history, and the rest, and there are about 20 websites in history that keep showing up when I go type a web address. I've tried CWShredder (says it doesn't exist on my computer). I've tried Spybot (which I did first) (showed coolwebsearch when it did a scan, then supposedly deleted it). I've tried Malware anti-bytes. I tried to try Stopzilla and Spyware Doctor, but they make you pay for it.

How can I possibly delete the history/ urls that keep showing up? This is so frustrating!

You are advised to use Ccleaner. It is very nice software program and performs quickly over junk and temporary files.

Back