Windows 7 Can't directly open PDF in FTP

leiw

Hello,

We used FTP mapping in My Computer that can directly open PDF. I have created new FTP mapping for one new staff, but she can't directly open PDF, please see attached file for error code.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 818
I'm assuming you verified that the computer has a functioning PDF reader assigned as the default application for PDFs. I can't read the Chinese portion of the error message or translate it from a jpg, but the 12004 error appears to be related to a problem with Windows or a Windows extension dealing with Internet connectivity. One person reported success by disabling the HTTP compression filter, but most suggestions revolved around repairing Windows or its extensions: run SFC /scannow, reset Winsock, reset TCP/IP (using MS Fixit, which would be a good general purpose solution to try), do a system restore.

Error 12004 is "no response". The FTP server can't complete the request or something is blocking the actvity. Check your firewall settings or disable any offending software that blocks the activity.

Last edited:
Hello all,

The computer installed Adobe Reader and I have checked the default application for PDFs.

The FTP server in same local network with our client, so no firewall related.

I haven't run SFC /scannow, reset Winsock, reset TCP/IP, I don't know the issue after run those command.

Thanks

At this point, we're just trying easy things that other people have found successful. If these don't fix the problem, we can take it from there.
  • I assume you've verified that the issue is not a bad PDF (you experience the problem with a PDF that can be opened via FTP on other computers)?
  • Are you able to download the PDF to that computer and open it there (verified that the PDF reader works locally)?
  • Are all of the computers using the same versions of the relevant software (PDF reader, FTP utility, operating system, etc.)?

• To badrobot's point on the firewall, each computer may have a firewall in addition to the one in the router (that is good practice on a network). If that is the case, temporarily disable the firewall on that computer and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you may need to tweak it (the other computers on the network would likely have similar firewalls and those do not interfere).

• Can you use FTP to upload and download files on that computer (issue is not a general FTP failure)? If there is a general problem with FTP, look for settings or security/AV software that might be blocking FTP, as badrobot suggested.

• Run SFC /scannow from the start menu run box (will check and fix problems with Windows system files)

• General resource that may be able to find and fix the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
  • Reset the Winsock and check if that helps in resolving the issue.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, and in Start Search, type cmd.
    b. Right-click the cmd entry that appears in the search results, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    c. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    netsh winsock reset
    Then, you should see the following message:
    Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.
    d. Restart the computer.

• Reset TCP/IP via MS Fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
  • If I understand correctly, this is not something that worked before on that computer and then stopped working; it is a new setup that you can't get working for the first time. If that's the case, a system restore won't help.

Last edited:
Hi Fixer1234,

1 & 2.I tried to login his FTP on other PC that can open inside PDF.

3. Yes, lastest version.

4. Build-in firewall turnoff.

5. Yes, can upload and download.

6 - 10. Need to wait to use scannow.

Thanks

1 & 2.I tried to login his FTP on other PC that can open inside PDF.
Just to verify that we're talking about the same thing, what you checked is that: 1) the problem occurs with PDFs that you know are good files (can be opened by other users); and 2) the PDF reader on that computer works properly with files on that computer?

Also, if you have verified that the problem does not relate to the firewall, turn it back on.

Just to verify that we're talking about the same thing, what you checked is that: 1) the problem occurs with PDFs that you know are good files (can be opened by other users); and 2) the PDF reader on that computer works properly with files on that computer?

Also, if you have verified that the problem does not relate to the firewall, turn it back on.

1. Yes, I can open it on my computer.
2. Yes, work on another files, because drag to desktop can view.

Thanks

If FTP, network access, and Internet access all work properly, it's not likely to be the last two things (Winsock, TCP/IP), but it can't hurt to try them anyway.

The symptom is unusual and pretty specific, and the problem does not appear to be anything obvious. Finding it could be very time consuming. You might be better off using a work-around. For example, transfer the PDF and open it locally.

What procedure are you trying to use to open the file (open it from within the PDF reader, use a context (right-click) menu, etc.)? Have you experimented with alternate methods of opening the file that might keep it a one-step process?

The user don't want download to locally to open it, I will be try Winsock or TCP/IP, can you teach me the command to reset them ?

Thanks

The instructions are in the earlier reply (about #5 in the thread). If that doesn't fix the problem (probably not the cause in your case), what I suggested in the previous response was that a different procedure might work to open PDFs.

From what you described, I can envision three or four procedures that might be used to open the PDF: open the reader and then open the PDF from within it, open the PDF via right-click menu, double click on the PDF in Windows Explorer, or double click on the PDF in a third party file manager program. Another option is to try using a different PDF reader (there are many free ones, just experiment). Still other options are to try viewing the PDF by pointing to the file in the web browser or using a web-based PDF viewer. Try these other approaches and see if one or more of them work. If that is successful, you have both a solution and a clue as to where the underlying problem might be.

Also, if the users don't want to have to do an extra mouse click and take an extra couple of seconds to view a PDF by downloading it first, tell them they are spoiled ingrates and don't deserve your help. :)

Back