Windows 7 Can't dual monitor

Lulzshock

Hello,
I installed windows 7 starter (7057) yesterday, and was very, very happy with all things but one. I can not get my dual monitor setup I had running with XP to work. Here is the problem,
I have a Nvidia geforce 9400ft with 512mb DDR2, and I know for a fact it supports dual monitors (I used it for a while)
When I go into the options in the display settings so I can configure the monitors, both show up, but all I can do is switch in between them, it will not let me turn them both on. I figured, it may be a driver problem (Updated) and went into the driver option.
Here both Monitors showed up, only one checked off though. I checked the other and a pop up came up
"The GPU supports single display, in order to use a dual display please reboot the computer"
So I rebooted.
Same problem....
So I changed the active monitor, then rebooted
Same problem.....

I really love windows 7, but I also really love having two active monitors, can I please get some help?

Someone else will have to verify this but I'm pretty sure Windows 7 Starter Edition doesn't allow a dual-monitor configuration.. ;) Is there a specific reason why your using the Starter Edition? It's really geared more towards netbooks and very low-end pc's.. ;) I'd suggest downloading the RC on May 5th from Microsoft.. That will allow you to use dual monitors and will run alot better than the Starter Edition...

Can I possibly upgrade without the CD? I would like to change to the other version, but my CD drive isnt working right now, and the only way I can would be going through the startup, which I tried, but it told me the only way to upgrade is to do it from within the OS.
So, can I upgrade without the CD?

First of all I wouldn't "upgrade" I'd do a clean install as it's just all around a much better way to do things.. Plus it takes about half the time that "Upgrading" does.. ;) So no CD/DVD drive.. hmm well you could install via a USB Flash Drive... :) I know there's a guide on this forum that explains step by step how to do so.. Just bare with me a sec here and I'll see if I can find it.. I'll post the link as soon as I do.. :)

Do you have another version already downloaded and ready to go or do you just have the Starter Version? If you need to download another version than I'd just wait until Tuesday (May 5th).. That's when the RC goes public via Microsoft's website.. :)

I think I will wait for the RC (what is this, and is it free?) since it's coming so soon.
I have a CD drive, it just doesnt work within Windows 7 / Vista

I don't know if the 'Starter' version is different to the 7057 which I had installed - but it certainly worked with dual monitors for me.

Go to Control Panel and choose the 'Display' option and then from the right hand side choose 'Change Display settings' you should see two monitors displayed, if not click on the 'Detect' button. Once you have both your monitors listed, in the multiple displays field, make sure that you have 'Extend these displays' as the option and not either of the 'Show Desktop only on 1' or 'Show Desktop only on 2'.

If that doesn't work, right click on an empty are of the desktop and choose the 'nVidia Control Panel' - you might be able to set up your displays from there.

Hope that helps

I think I will wait for the RC (what is this, and is it free?) since it's coming so soon.
I have a CD drive, it just doesnt work within Windows 7 / Vista

Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) is the next major milestone in the operating system's developemental process.. Followed by the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) and then the Retail Version (Final Product).. ;)

Yes it will be free to download starting May 5th to anyone who wants to try it out.. ;)

"...it just doesn't work within Windows 7 / Vista"

So.. can it boot off a DVD?

If not then you could try booting off a usb drive in order to install the OS... ;)

Yeah booting from a DVD is possible for me, but Burning the ISO would not be :( so using a USB (I am assuming the usb would have to be like 8gigs) would be really nice, since I have an MP3/USB (Its actually recognized by my computer as a USB drive)
I originally installed by booting from a DVD, the installer had all the versions, but It failed when I attempted to install Ultimate, So I just went with the lowest one.

I don't know if the 'Starter' version is different to the 7057 which I had installed - but it certainly worked with dual monitors for me.

Go to Control Panel and choose the 'Display' option and then from the right hand side choose 'Change Display settings' you should see two monitors displayed, if not click on the 'Detect' button. Once you have both your monitors listed, in the multiple displays field, make sure that you have 'Extend these displays' as the option and not either of the 'Show Desktop only on 1' or 'Show Desktop only on 2'.

If that doesn't work, right click on an empty are of the desktop and choose the 'nVidia Control Panel' - you might be able to set up your displays from there.

Hope that helps
There is only he sow one and two and "Duplicate" which make the second monitor Mirror the first (and drastically reduces the resolution of the nice one)

Back