Windows 7 Can't figure out backup

dumbfounded

Hi,
I tried backing up last night. Took 3 hours but I digress.
When it finished it stated it didn\t complete properly. BUT there are two files on my external drive. One named after my computer but says it is empty (treated as a folder). The other file says MediaID.bin 0 kb.
When I check your backup status it says The back up completed but some files were skipped. Upon viewing those it states
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Mcx1-NAME\Contacts. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Mcx1-NAME\Searches. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Might make sense since I deselected those.

The weird part now: it says Backup size 89.75 GB.

Huh?

How can I be assured it did indeed back up and how do I avoid this kind of inconsistency in the future.

Anytime you get error messages, the backup is suspect. The only way to tell would be to attempt to restore the files or see if you can look at them. I agree with GTK66 and always backup an image so I can restore my system if I need.

Is there anything specific about the files that were not backed up? Are they copyrighted protected or anything that might keep the permissions from allowing a backup?

Your backup was 86 G, much do you have on the partition you backed up? The sizes won't agree, of course, but it might give a hint if a problem exists.

Anytime you get error messages, the backup is suspect. The only way to tell would be to attempt to restore the files or see if you can look at them. I agree with GTK66 and always backup an image so I can restore my system if I need.

Not enough room for an image right now (althuogh there would be if I could get my old drive to act as an external (see my other thread). LOL

Is there anything specific about the files that were not backed up? Are they copyrighted protected or anything that might keep the permissions from allowing a backup?
It was only the directories I chose not to back up so it's ok.

Your backup was 86 G, much do you have on the partition you backed up? The sizes won't agree, of course, but it might give a hint if a problem exists.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, sorry. BUT I simply attempted another backup and it said it was successful Yippee! Still curious as to why the "folder" (shows as my computer's name) shows as 0 KB but when I go to do a "recovery" I seem to be able to view all my files. I'm satisfied (shouldn't I be?).

Thanks.

Back