Windows 7 Cant find Uli As-Rock K8 Combo z Drivers

momo

Hey all
I just installed Windows 7 but my normal windows XP driver CD is not working
It doesnt recognize any of the drivers for Lan, AGP.. etc
Anyone know where i can find these drivers from??
Thanks for the help!

The Solution (finally solved).

Hey all

I just installed Windows 7 but my normal windows XP driver CD is not working
It doesn't recognize any of the drivers for LAN, AGP.. etc
Anyone know where i can find these drivers from??
Thanks for the help!

Hi momo, i had the same problem ... ;)

I own also that board and had to realize that drivers are only available for Windows® 98, ME, 2000 & XP.
Installed Windows new (on a second HD of course, but that doesn't matter, it's from scratch) and 7 doesn't could use the SATA controller due to no founded driver.

And all drives in that computer are SATA.
So i searched through the whole internet and finally found the right one one i could use whichsoever i had to modify so that 7 eat it - It would go beyond the scope of that post if i would point the way out i had to make to brainwash 7 to recognize the driver to be valid for it ...

So, AGP, LAN, Onboard-Sound and USB had to be completed.
All went as usual - means, i got it to use it under 7.

Except the Ethernet controller ...
Another search - and minutes later i found a driver that i also had to modify so that Windows 7 eat it.
I modified the [hardly searched and finally found {unofficially}] Windows Vista x86/x64 driver and got it finally too.

With "Windows Update" i manually found out that a newer driver is available for Windows 7 for the C-Media Audio components - and installed it.

So, i got Windows 7 to run on an AsRock K8-ComboZ.
In the end i have 7 installed on it - without errors, fully usable with all devices workin' as expected.

As follows my [customized] driver for Windows 7 for the ALi M1689 Chipset [found on the AsRock K8Combo-Z mainboard]:
  • My [customized] S-ATA Driver
    • For the ALi M5289 SATA/RAID Controller, which is integrated into the ALi M1689-Chipset from nVidia.
    • Link Removed - Invalid URL.
  • My [customized] LAN-/Ethernet-Driver
    • For the ALi M526X Ethernet-Controller, which is also integrated into the ALi M1689-Chipset.
    • Link Removed - Invalid URL.

Just for info [or for further Driver searches using G+]:
The ALi Chipset is internal often referred as the ULi Chipset - it's the unofficial name from nVidia for that Chipset.

The ALi/ULi M1689 Chipset is also internal referred as "S1689".
  • Related Driver → nVidia's ALi/ULi' "M1689".
    Note:
    You need particularly this drivers from nVidia for the AsRock K8Combo-Z, due to the nVidia bridge PCI-Chip on the board.
    But, don't try to open or run that "IntegratedDriver2.20.exe" on 7!
    It will install drivers that makes the Windows 7 Installation corrupt - aside from that, you would get an error - cas these drivers are [we remember] for Windows® 98, ME, 2000 & XP ... ;)
    Link Removed due to 404 Error

You would only need the driver for the Windows Vista Beta Build 5320 that are included in this package - and that i already customized ...
    So, you have to just run that setup under XP;
    The Setup will expand all necessary files [also the one you would need] to the following path:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\temp\pft14.tmp\"
    Let the Setup just stay open and copy that folder [it's 17,8 MByte in size] to another place.
    ... and so on .... I already done it ...
The AsRock K8Combo-Z is internal also called "K8Combo/ASR".

The Onboard Audio-Chipset is the Realtek "ALC850".

The Onboard LAN-/Ethernet-Chipset is the Realtek "RTL8201BL/PHY".
  • Related Driver → ALi/ULi's "M526X".
The Onboard SATA/RAID Controller-Chipset is the "ALi/ULi M5289".
  • Related Driver → ALi/ULi's "AGP v3.0".

So ...
Just start the Windows 7 Setup and point it on the Drive dialogue to that place, where you have extracted the ALi/ULi M1689-Chipset driver from above - USB-Stick, burned CD, another Windows installation - whatever, it doesn't matter.
Now you have within Windows 7 the access to any SATA drives.
Install it on an [if you would do or plan to do so] and boot finally Windows 7.
After that, the last missing device is the LAN-/Ethernet-Controller that Windows hasn't a driver for [and will not find the needed one anyway nor either on the internet or the Windows Update Services ...
Point the Device Manager for the driver of the Ethernet-Controller to the place, where you've placed my ALi/ULi M526X driver.

You're done.

Anything else, will be automatically installed if you run the Windows Update [the other needed drivers will be listed as optional updates].

Don't forget to come back and post your results. :)

In this sense

Smartcom

Hi. I've read you can install Windows 7 on this mottherboard. I dowloaded you drivers but Windows doesn't recognize SATA. Which version of Windows 7 di you try, could you help me? Thanks.

Daniele

Hi. I've read you can install Windows 7 on this mottherboard. I dowloaded you drivers but Windows doesn't recognize SATA. Which version of Windows 7 di you try, could you help me? Thanks.

Daniele
Of course i can help you ?! That's why i'm here, right ? :D
I used Windows® 7 Ultimate ³² (x86), and it runs fine on this board - i'm actually typing this post with that board.

Did you tried to force recognition whilst installing or after the whole installation of Windows 7 ?
If you wanna make 7 see/handle the S-ATA controller during installation, just point it to the source of my modified ALi/ULi M5289 drivers you placed onto a floppy- or usb-drive.
After the installation is completed, Windows 7 should find and download itself the needed further drivers for the M5289 Controller on top of my drivers you set up during the installation. ;)

Make sure, you already installed also my Ethernet drivers - unless Windows 7 won't be able to download its drivers.
And, please post your results - i will come back and try to solve any further problems. ;)

In this sense

Smartcom

Hi!
A curiosity: did you try on 32 bit or 64 bit version? However I've got the problem with all versions (premium, ultimate, 32bit and 64 bit)..my be I wrong something.
I used your drivers, but during installation, when I put as location USB, windows searches but doesn't find it. How to force installation?

AsRock K8Combo-Z: Try this …

[…]
I used Windows® 7 Ultimate ³² (x86)[…]
… as stated above. ;)

Try the following drivers (i reviewed and -packed it after i extracted it off my current 7 installation - a lot of work!):
View attachment ALi M5289.zip

They definitively should work.
Point the setup to the folder 'ALi M5289' and it should recognise the S-ATA controller.

Post back, if it helped. :)

In this sense

Smartcom

Display adapter problem with ULI M1689

I have pretty much the same problem...i have downloaded the folder u created but it is not pointing to the .inf file its picking up the setup information file instead....don't know what to do...may be I am not doing it right...I'll appreciate if u can guide me....everything else seems to be working...PLEASE HELP

Re: Display adapter problem with ULI M1689

I have this old combo to. But your links dont work. Can I get your files in another way?

Re: Display adapter problem with ULI M1689

Thanks...I'll see when I get time to try to install them. Thanks again

Sorry for my bad english. I have the solution for AGP problem using windows 7 32 bits. Maybe nobody need the solution now, but i feel in obligation to write this.

The problem consist that windows 7 install an incorrect controller of ULi AGP v3.0. Windows use automatically the file ULIAGPKX.SYS (57 kb) located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers. With this .SYS AGP don't work, bus AGP is in "pci mode" (you can see this with gpu-z)

Solution that works fine for me:

1. Download the oficioal AGP driver of k8 kombo-z for windows XP 32 bits (ftp://europe.asrock.com/drivers/ULi/AGP/AGP_XP_2K_ME_98(2.30).zip)

2. Uncompress the zip and uncropess the .exe with 7-zip or winrar.

3. Go to C:\*******\Downloads\AGP_XP_2K_ME_98(2.30)\AGP_98_ME_2K_XP(2.30)\WinXP and rename the file agpkx.sys (44 kb) to ULIAGPKX.SYS.

4 Now copy this "new" ULIAGPKX.SYS (44kb) and replace the original ULIAGPKX.SYS (57 kb) located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers.

5. Restart the computer and now the bus AGP would been installed correctly. Test with gpu-z and you don't have to see AGP in "pci mode". Note: before restart I disabled the ULi AGP v3.0 controller in Device Manager (disable not uninstall) but i think it isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance for you addition, hector!

I got the problem too back then.
But managed it to work as expected, so as 8xAGP on my still remarkable ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP.
The ULI 3.0 AGP was somewhat tricky, if i remember right.
Again, thank you! ;)

In this sense

Smartcom

PS:The thing i do clearly remember, was;
You have to install the AGP-driver
before the graphics card one!

Back
Top Bottom