Windows Vista cant install chipset drivers on vista 64?

hi,
have a cple of issues which ive been trying to solve for a while now.
first is - i updated my chipset drivers on xp with no dramas all went well.
but now ive been trying on vista 64, using intels chipset driver installation utility version of drivers is 8.3.1.1009 .
ive downloaded two sets of these drivers so there not corrupt .
the utility runs ok and it reboots and says "succes"
but then i check in device manager and the old drivers are still there?
its like vista refuses to update any drivers? i noticed this with other drivers , i try to manually update drivers and it says windows couldnt find a better match than the driver already installed? i mean wtf? its obvious device oem drivers will be superior!
anyone know how to get around this ?
second issue is vista is taking a really long time to shutdown. it started a while back after an update . now it just takes ages its ridiculas how long it takes.
anyone know why?
any replies will be much appreciated.

hi,
have a cple of issues which ive been trying to solve for a while now.
first is - i updated my chipset drivers on xp with no dramas all went well.
but now ive been trying on vista 64, using intels chipset driver installation utility version of drivers is 8.3.1.1009 .
ive downloaded two sets of these drivers so there not corrupt .
the utility runs ok and it reboots and says "succes"
but then i check in device manager and the old drivers are still there?
its like vista refuses to update any drivers? i noticed this with other drivers , i try to manually update drivers and it says windows couldnt find a better match than the driver already installed? i mean wtf? its obvious device oem drivers will be superior!
anyone know how to get around this ?
second issue is vista is taking a really long time to shutdown. it started a while back after an update . now it just takes ages its ridiculas how long it takes.
anyone know why?
any replies will be much appreciated.
I know a little about the procedure. You have to remove the old driver and chip set, which you know. You might try the NVIDIA website, they can't actually give you your new drivers but they do have an automated lab. They can scan your computer for free and recommend the best or latest Vista drivers available. r

what do u mean by remove driver and chipset? are u sure i should uninstal chipset drivers from device manager? how will windows remain stable with them uninstalled? also u cant uninstall chipsets? what do u mean by that?
this is a intel chipset so i cant use nvidia for support. ive tried intel and they say its a vista issue not theres. i tried gigabyte and they say the same.

Hi, if you know the name of your chipset then you can get the correct drtivers from here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Microsoft also has an update/Hotfix for Intel M/Bs you can get it here :
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Did you try and un-install the driver before you tried the new one? If so and your still getting problems, why not try a driver cleaner. You can download one for free here: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

You could also try going into Device manager, right-click on the object and click properties. Here you can choose to either update or roll back the driver.

I hope that this is some help to you, please let me know if you need more help.. :)

Hi, if you know the name of your chipset then you can get the correct drtivers from here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Microsoft also has an update/Hotfix for Intel M/Bs you can get it here :
Microsoft Download Center

Did you try and un-install the driver before you tried the new one? If so and your still getting problems, why not try a driver cleaner. You can download one for free here: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

You could also try going into Device manager, right-click on the object and click properties. Here you can choose to either update or roll back the driver.

I hope that this is some help to you, please let me know if you need more help.. :)

hi thanks for the reply.
first link is for "nvidia" drivers . i have a "intel" chipset board
i tried the second link it took me to some other area, do u have the excact link for that intel board hotfix? i tried looking for it couldnt find it.
i downloaded drver sweeper ,its a good program but for nvidia drivers not intel unfortunatly.
ill also try uninstalling my chipset drivers before installing the utility. i really hope your right about uninstalling the drivers first. im just worried it will crash windows ,since what will replace it while its uninstalled?

Hi, sorry for some reason I thought you were on a nvidia chipset..:confused:
If you try here: Link Removed due to 404 Error This is the main Intel site and the link is for identifying your chipset, from there you can then find the correct drivers for your chipset.

Once again sorry about the link for the hotfix, I'd forgotten I was running some beta software called Silverlight (you'll probably get asked if you want to run it yourself if you go to MS sites) Anyway after a bit of searching I found the 64bit version for the hotfix : Link Removed - Invalid URL

As for un-installing your drivers before installing the new set... Don't worry, Vista comes with its own generic set of drivers which it will use if you take the other ones off. A word to the wise though... When your doing this process I would set your update utility to off. Otherwise as soon as you un-install the drivers it will automatically download the same again. (This may have been happening anyway and is perhaps why you were getting problems replacing them). This is the same for changing graphic drivers too.

thanks for the reply,
i downloaded and ran that hotfix but vista would run it , it says "this update doesnt apply to this system"
also i ran that intel chipset identification utillity and its not compatible with vista 64 i just got errors when trying to run it.
thanks anyway. i appreciate ur help.
also in regards to vista update i have it disabled permently since i know how much of a hassle it is when updating drivers.
i cant seem to find a solution so i might have to go back to xp. shame but it doesnt look like vista is ready yet. maybe in a cple of yrs it will be better.

I'm sorry you feel you have to go back to XP. Some of the problems lie in the fact I use 64bit and so am not as 'Savvy' with 64bit. In other words I look for 32bit answers to 64bit questions. As for Vista, personally I'd never go back to XP. My rig now runs 95% error free and in some areas performs better than XP.
Perhaps you could use the Intel site to find a 64bit chipset 'checker'? Then again if you already know which chipset you've got then use the Intel site to find the correct drivers. Also all the answers I provided were found using Google, it's knowing which 'key' word to apply.
Regards
Kemical

what do u mean by remove driver and chipset? are u sure i should uninstal chipset drivers from device manager? how will windows remain stable with them uninstalled? also u cant uninstall chipsets? what do u mean by that?
this is a intel chipset so i cant use nvidia for support. ive tried intel and they say its a vista issue not theres. i tried gigabyte and they say the same.
:eek:Hi, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been working. Yes, as the other gentleman stated. Did you remove the previous drivers before installation ? It won't install without first removing the old drivers. (Crazy) Scares me, I'm letting someone else do it. I've read something interesting about Intel Graphics Drivers for Windows Vista 64 bit. You may want to check it out thoroughly. http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606,htm Or, Intel graphics-windows vista*support FAQ P.S. Some of the drivers made for vista are having problems.........................

no i didnt uninstall the intel chipset drivers. i just want to make sure its safe to do that first.
can i ask firstly , what drivers excatly should i uninstall ? is it all drivers titled intel ich8? theres around 20 of them , so should i uninstall all of them?
inregards to intel graphics drivers. i dont use them i use nvidia gpu drivers.
i know there are problems installing any driver on vista but theres ways around most of them.
with nvidia drivers i just disable windows update first otherwise they wont install.
but with chipset drivers its abit more complicated and risky.
as soon as u confirm that its the 20 intel ich8 drivers that i should uninstall ill procede from there.
thanks for your help gys i appreciate it.
adya

What you need to do is identify your chipset. It will be something like Intel 965 but you must make sure (you can use software like Sandra to help you, here's a link to a 64bit version :SiSoftware Sandra XII 2008 (13.12) download from Guru3D.com) . Then go to the Intel website, here's a link for the chipset software page Link Removed - Invalid URL

Choose your chipset and follow the links, there is support for 64bit and what looks like a 'install utility'. This utility will probably un-install your old drivers and then install the new ones. As for which driver is which, chipset drivers include USB drivers, ethernet, in fact basically everything other than graphics, which as you say is Nvidia. I don't own a Intel board nor would I want to advise you on what to uninstall, why not try a Intel forum? Good luck

Back