Windows 7 cant open any msc on windows 7

lokorn

hi
i cant open any msc files on windows 7.
i click services or device manager or event viewer and nothing happens, no eror massage no nothing. help me please!

lokorn;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
First browse to here
C:\Windows\System32
scroll as needed and double click
services.msc
does it run from there?
How long has this problem been present? Possibly a system restore to an earlier point in time prior to the problem first occuring might help. Did it ever work?
Have you tried, from an elevated command prompt, running
sfc /scannow
to evoke the system file checker to see if it finds any problem with your system files.
Keep us posted
Regards
Randy

it doesnt open from C:\Windows\System32
i dont really know since when is the problem cause i dont usually open services and thats why i would like to save system restore to last resort option.
i did the sfc /scannow and it says that some corrupted filles were found but was unable to fix them.
and when i try to open the log file it says access denied while im using a user that has administrative permissions.
what should i do now?

Do you have or can you create another user (administrators group) and log on as that user to double check to see if the problem is persistent across all admin level users or unique to your account / profile.
Additionally, do you have any reason to suspect a virus / malware infection has occured? If so you may want to consider installing and scaning with both of the following;

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer (use safemode with networking for both, install, update signatures, and run full scans)

A third product which may help and can find critters that the other two might miss, SUPERAntiSpyware.com - SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner

And Finally, as a last resort, a more robust product
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
Download the iso, burn it to a CD, boot the computer from the Rescue Disk, make sure you are connected to the internet and use the Update tab / utility from within the program to update the signatures and run a full scan.
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

What version of Windows 7 are you running? I do not believe Home Premium has the capability to run the.msc snap-ins..

The CBS.log needs to be copied to the Desktop to open. If you want, run an SFC in the Administrative Command Prompt, then open the CBS.log and copy the entire day's worth of entries. Then paste it into a notepad file and attach using the paperclip.

If you are really having file corruption problems, the malware route suggested is probably a good idea.

well bad news for me..
i tried sybot , malwerbytes and kaspersky and it didnt help, creating another administrative user and using it didnt help.
i even tried system restore to the erliest restore point i got, a month ago and it didnt help..
and its windows 7 ultimate version by the way..
any other ideas please or the only way is to reinstall win7??

Sorry things aren't looking too good. Could you follow up with Saltgrass's request for a copy of the CBS.log file that resulted from your running the system file checker, maybe he can see something in there that may help.
Alternately, some people have reported some success performing an upgrade/repair install, you might want to give something like that a try
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums
Regards
Randy

here is the cbs.log from the hour i ran the scan till it finished

Attachments

• cbs185.txt
    820.7 KB · Views: 530
You seem to have quite a few files that have been corrupted in some manner and cannot be repaired. If you are not aware of some incident that might have corrupted these, you might want to try a Repair install. If there is something wrong with your system causing this corruption, you need to figure out what it is?

Repairing 20 (0x0000000000000014) components

Replacement does not match actual file seems to be the major theme of the errors.

cacls.exe.mui
cabview.dll.mui
font-truetype-simkai
mmc.exe.mui
simple-provider-dll
Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-(MDAC)-
sdclt.exe.mui
Windows Exclamation.wav
Microsoft-Windows-ScanProfiles
sppcomapi.dll

This is just some of the 20 needing repair. You can replace these files, or at least try, but I have not done that procedure.

.mui files are Multilingual User Interface

If you want a complete list of the files, look at the CBS.log on the Date/ time of 2011-05-18:11:42

for lines like the following:

2011-05-18 18:11:42, Info CSI 000004b8 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-a..ercomtool.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_a7899109b40612e3\cacls.exe.mui do not match actual file [l:26{13" :

i have no idea what caused the problem becuse i wasnt aware for it for a long time..
one thing i do remember is that for some time for some reason when i open my ciomputer win7 stopped auto login and instead wants me to click on my user (the only user on the computer) mayby its related to the problem..
anyway how do i replace the files? by the upgrade/repair install trouble suggested?

I would have to say you system is in a condition the suggestion by Trouble would be the best option. But if seems to get you back to normal, keep an eye on it to see if more files start having problems.

it sounds like you think this problem will come back in the future, would you suggest to install a new system so i wont have to dill with that or other problems any time soon?

You may have had a virus or some temporary problem that may have corrected itself. The original install may have been corrupted for some reason. I would try a repair install first and watch it.

If nothing else, do a repair install and then make a backup image as soon as you activate the install, or backup all your files so if you need to replace the hard drive or some other component, you can use the image to get your system back.

Back