Windows 7 Can't perform system restore

skeptic

this morning i decided to perform system restore
since the OS screwed up a bit and will only work in safe mode
i also did scf /scannnow and chkdsk /f and it didn't help
i think its something with the HD. some expert told me that if the hd is too large it can screw the OS. mine is just 500GB
so when i tried to open the systen restore i got this

iVXs6.png

:confused:

ok i managed to fixed it just how do i enable the system restore option?
i want every day that it will have system restore for the os
i already have all necessary updates for windows 7

You can enable System Restore through your Properties Window. First though, GoTo Services and make sure the Volume Shadow Copy & Task Scheduler Services are running (Control Panel, Admin. Tools, Services).
GoTo Start, R-Click My Computer, select Properties, on the left click on Advanced system settings, click on the System Protection tab.

Highlight the Drive you want to enable system Restore for then click Configure. Here you set whether you want restore on or off, how much disk space etc. Then click Apply and OK. Do this for each drive you want to set up a restore point for.

Unless your PC is idle, (I believe) System Restore will not set a restore point. You should set a daily task in Task Scheduler. GoTo Control Panel, Admin. Tools, Task Scheduler. Expand the Task Scheduler Library then Microsoft then Windows in the left panel, scroll down to System Restore and click it. In the upper centre panel R-Click on the background and select Create new task and take it from there.

For making a quick manual restore point I use Link Removed - Invalid URL. Just click it and off it goes.

Last edited:
You can enable System Restore through your Properties Window. First though, GoTo Services and make sure the Volume Shadow Copy & Task Scheduler Services are running (Control Panel, Admin. Tools, Services).
GoTo Start, R-Click My Computer, select Properties, on the left click on Advanced system settings, click on the System Protection tab.

Highlight the Drive you want to enable system Restore for then click Configure. Here you set whether you want restore on or off, how much disk space etc. Then click Apply and OK. Do this for each drive you want to set up a restore point for.

Unless your PC is idle, (I believe) System Restore will not set a restore point. You should set a daily task in Task Scheduler. GoTo Control Panel, Admin. Tools, Task Scheduler. Expand the Task Scheduler Library then Microsoft then Windows in the left panel, scroll down to System Restore and click it. In the upper centre panel R-Click on the background and select Create new task and take it from there.

For making a quick manual restore point I use Link Removed - Invalid URL. Just click it and off it goes.

thanks mate.
i've added the "quick restore maker" into the windows daily scehdule .
just every day it seems it overite the day earlier restore point and already been week and i only have 1 day earlier restore point.
where are the others? every day it made automatic restore with the quick restore maker and it was fine just why is it must remove the previous restore point he made??

Goto > Services (search services.msc) and check if Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup Services are set on Automatic (Delayed Start) and are running (sounds like they are).
Re-size (larger) System Restore and rename your main drive (not the letter, the name), you can reduce and name it back again later. Re-boot. This one actually worked for me the last time my System Restore disappeared. I went from an error of "0x8007007B - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" to 20 odd restore points spanning two weeks in one re-boot.

Goto > Services (search services.msc) and check if Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup Services are set on Automatic (Delayed Start) and are running (sounds like they are).
Re-size (larger) System Restore and rename your main drive (not the letter, the name), you can reduce and name it back again later. Re-boot. This one actually worked for me the last time my System Restore disappeared. I went from an error of "0x8007007B - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" to 20 odd restore points spanning two weeks in one re-boot.
ok i did it it was first manual i changed it to Automatic (Delayed Start)
but i have another problem my windows drive has only 1GB free now cause its my smallest partition
how can i make it save the restore backups in diffrent partition?

how can i make it save the restore backups in different partition?

I believe the only way to do that is to change the Common Folders settings in the registry along with your environmental variables.

It's a long process and is not 100% reliable and difficult to accomplish unless you are a very experienced user.

What happens when you paste this in the Run box?............C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

Have you performed a virus scan of the entire hard drive?

Last edited:
I'd recommend (well M$ does actually!) increasing you're main partition to 40Gb at a minimum to give 7 a decent "working space".

EDIT But looks like you've got your number of restore points upped from "more than one". Or are we waiting for an overnight re-start?

Last edited:
Back