Windows 7 Can't ping router

MAF

Hi all,

I've been trying to resolve the same networking problem for a few weeks now and finally decided maybe I'd have better luck just asking.

So here is the situation, I recently built a new PC with Win7 (64 bits). Unfortunately, I can't connect to my router (Linksys BEFW11S4 ver.4). I am using an NTI 802.11n W-LAN Mini-PCI NIC wireless network card, but I also tried my Linksys WUSB54GC USB wireless adaptor without any more luck. Although I can see my router even connect to it, though it keeps dropping or disapearing, but I can never ping to it.

This problem is only when I try to connect using wireless connection, since I can connect properly when I'm directly plugged in my router.

It seems as though my network adaptor's driver are properly installed, as it shows up in my device manager without any warning mark.

I already tried TCP/IP stack repair (not sure how it could help...), unfortunately this didn't help.

So if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

In the router while connected by wire, set the beacon interval to a low setting like 40 or even 20.

Then change the channel it is operating on to one far from where it is now.

Make sure that if there is mac address filtering on, that the wireless adapter's physical address is added to the whitelist and allowed.

Turn off all wireless security as a test, until you figure things out.

You could also try updating the router's firmware if you need to resort to trying that.

Hi,

I've tried everything you said, but unfortunately, I still can’t properly connect to my router.

I should also add that I forgot to mention some pretty important information. I have several other computers that can connect to the router and get internet without any problem. And one of them is using my Linksys WUSB54GC USB wireless adaptor that works fine on that computer (which is running on XP by the way).

The symptoms again:
One minute I can see my router showing up in my available wireless connections and the other, it’s gone. Most of the time when I’ll try to connect to it, I wont be able to. But sometimes, I’ll be able to, but it gives me a limited connectivity warning, and if I try to either ping the router or to connect to the router setup page using the router IP address (192.168.1.1) it doesn’t work.

So I guess something might just be wrong with my windows 7, since the hardware I’m using works fine on other computers, and I’ve never had any real issues with my wireless network. But it is a newly installed version of windows 7 (64 bits), and no updates have been made (which is hard when you can’t connect to the internet), and everything else seems to work fine, so I can’t see what could’ve went wrong.

Thanks again for the help, and if anyone has anymore ideas that I should try, please let me know.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Windows 7 itself. Now the driver you have installed, that could be another story.

Hi again, and thanks for the quick reply,

So even if whatever hardware I’m using shows up in my device manager, could it still be a driver problem? My NTI 802.11n W-LAN Mini-PCI NIC wireless network card has drivers for Windows 7, but it doesn’t say weather it’s for the 32 bits version, or for the 64 bits.

Also, I wanted to avoid buying another network card, but do you think that it would be my best bet just to get another one for which I know for sure there are drivers for Win 64 bits?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi again, and thanks for the quick reply,

So even if whatever hardware I’m using shows up in my device manager, could it still be a driver problem? My NTI 802.11n W-LAN Mini-PCI NIC wireless network card has drivers for Windows 7, but it doesn’t say weather it’s for the 32 bits version, or for the 64 bits.

Also, I wanted to avoid buying another network card, but do you think that it would be my best bet just to get another one for which I know for sure there are drivers for Win 64 bits?

Thanks so much for your help!

Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach to a post. I'll have a look at things.

Ya, wow, the driver is from August 15, 2008. I'm surprised your machine even boots with this one, honestly.

Install this driver (RTL8192E):

Realtek

Last edited:
Wow, thanks a lot!

For the first time, I actually was able to connect on the internet, although it was terribly slow, and it could not fully load google, and I’m still losing connection other minute even with a ‘strong’ signal. But massive improvement over what I’ve had over the last few days.

I’ll try to play with the beacon interval and the channel again, see if that makes a difference. I’ll let you know if that helps, unless you thought of anything else.

I guess that after all, this was a pretty simple problem, but I never would’ve thought that the drivers that came with my hardware on the install CD would not work. Lesson learned I guess. Also, I never really used the msinfo32, looks very useful, I’ll remember that too!

Thanks again.

It definitly works now!

After updating my wireless card' drivers, as well as the router's firmware, I can connect no problem. After so wondering for so long what my problem was, it's funny it turned out to be a problem as simple as that.

Once again, thank you so much for your help!

Glad things are well. Good to hear it and thanks for the update on the situation.

Good move on updating the firmware too.

Back