Windows 7 Can't read/write/burn cds/dvds using RDP

anubis2k7

Whenever I RDP into my box (running windows7 ultimate) I cannot read/write CDs/DVDs. I can when logged in locally, as well as boot off the DVD drive.

I have noticed that occasionally when switching between RDP and local, I will see two DVD drives.

Could this be a device cloning issue?

thnx

Solution
It sounds like you're experiencing a common issue with Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) sessions on Windows 7 Ultimate where CD/DVD drives may not function correctly when accessed via RDP. This issue can be related to how RDP handles device redirection.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:
1. Check Remote Desktop Settings:
- Ensure that local resources, including CD/DVD drives, are correctly configured for redirection in the Remote Desktop Connection settings.
2. Update Remote Desktop Client:
- Make sure that the Remote Desktop Client you are using to connect to the Windows 7 Ultimate machine is up to date. Sometimes, older versions can cause issues with device redirection.
It sounds like you're experiencing a common issue with Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) sessions on Windows 7 Ultimate where CD/DVD drives may not function correctly when accessed via RDP. This issue can be related to how RDP handles device redirection.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:
1. Check Remote Desktop Settings:
- Ensure that local resources, including CD/DVD drives, are correctly configured for redirection in the Remote Desktop Connection settings.
2. Update Remote Desktop Client:
- Make sure that the Remote Desktop Client you are using to connect to the Windows 7 Ultimate machine is up to date. Sometimes, older versions can cause issues with device redirection.
3. Reset the CD/DVD Drive:
- In some cases, resetting the CD/DVD drive in Device Manager can help. You can do this by:
- Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage."
- Navigate to "Device Manager," locate the CD/DVD drive, right-click, and select "Disable," then "Enable."
4. Check Device Manager for Duplicate Entries:
- As you mentioned seeing two DVD drives occasionally, check for any duplicate entries in Device Manager:
- Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage."
- Go to "Device Manager" and look for any duplicate entries under DVD/CD-ROM drives or Storage controllers. Remove any duplicates if found.
5. Group Policy Settings:
- Sometimes, Group Policy settings can affect device redirection. Check if there are any specific policies related to device redirection that could be causing the issue.
6. Check for Updates and Patches:
- Ensure that Windows 7 Ultimate is fully updated with the latest patches and updates from Microsoft. Sometimes, updates can contain fixes for known issues.
7. Restart CD/DVD Service:
- Restarting the CD/DVD service can sometimes resolve issues with CD/DVD drive access.
- Open the Services snap-in (services.msc).
- Locate the service related to CD/DVD drives and restart it.
If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be helpful to explore more advanced troubleshooting options or seek assistance from Microsoft support or a professional IT technician to diagnose the problem further.
Do give these steps a try and let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution
Back