Windows 7 Cant see file sharing from ziova Z500

roscored1000

Hi I am using RC7100 and for years have used XP to run my media files through a Ziova [coldstream] Z500 network media player. But once I changed to windows 7 I cant now see those files. I can see the PC but not the files. I think it is a SMB problem but dont know how to fix it and it is driving me nuts as I have all my media files on that computer and I dont want to go back to XP to use it.
I have given everything that i can think of permission, drives, folders, etc and twiddled with various settings but to no avail. I can see the laptop files running vista home premium but not Windows 7. Any help appreciated.

did you solve your problem ?

did you solve your problem ?
i have the same so please anwser.

gr maik

Hi I am using RC7100 and for years have used XP to run my media files through a Ziova [coldstream] Z500 network media player. But once I changed to windows 7 I cant now see those files. I can see the PC but not the files. I think it is a SMB problem but dont know how to fix it and it is driving me nuts as I have all my media files on that computer and I dont want to go back to XP to use it.
I have given everything that i can think of permission, drives, folders, etc and twiddled with various settings but to no avail. I can see the laptop files running vista home premium but not Windows 7. Any help appreciated.

have a look at this link

Link Removed due to 404 Error
this the gist of it if you cant open the link, i havent tried it yet as i have taken w7 off that computer for now.

In the Group Policy Editor under :-
Computer Configuration,
Windows Settings,
Security Settings,
Local Policies,
User Rights Assignment.
(whew, no wonder it is hard to find)
there is an entry hidden amongst all the noise called
"Deny access to this computer from the network" and the user "Guest" was entered!

I have been in here before, trying to sort out this issue. There is an entry right at the top called :-
"Access this computer from the network" and I made sure Guest was entered in there... but I didn't look further down the list to see the offending policy which obviously supersedes the first one.

I removed Guest from "Deny access ....." and BINGO! It's working!

Thanks but i,am using windows 7 home premium and there is nog gpedit.Is there a way change it on my computer ??

gr Maik Vaartjes

not sure

not sure but in this sort of problem , google or the forums are your best friends in this situation. ask the question of them. good luck

I have tried unsuccessfully to get around the lack of gpedit in home premium even with a way that used to work in vista to install the module but have given up for now, the only other way i can see would be to edit registry keys but I have no idea where the key(s) would be ?

I reckon next step is pester brink here on this forum and or post on the technet forum ;)

i have Link Removed - Invalid URL as well :)

Last edited:
A moderator on the technet forums suggested this may work

1. Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools .

2. Click Start > All Programs > Windows Resource Kit Tools .

3a. For Windows XP, click Command Shell .
3b. For Windows Vista, right-click Command Shell and click Run as administrator .

4. Type these lines at the command prompt exactly as shown (case sensitive):

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

5. For Windows Vista, type these lines:

ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Everyone
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Everyone

he assured me this works on xp and vista so if your prepared to try it you never know it may work, I suggest you set a restore point so you can rollback ;)

let us know if it works :razz:

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue, it is driving me crazy with my Z500. It works fine with my TVIX PVR M-5110SH but not with my Z500 and is the only thing holding me back from moving from Vista to Windows 7..

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue, it is driving me crazy with my Z500. It works fine with my TVIX PVR M-5110SH but not with my Z500 and is the only thing holding me back from moving from Vista to Windows 7..

you can either try my suggestion in my last post (no:8) or get a version of windows that has access to gpedit , i.e. windows 7 professional or ultimate, but NOT home ;)

I have Windows 7 Ultimate but still not having any luck at all..

I just did a clean install and did the below steps without success, if there is something i have missed or an idea please let us know.

1. Full Install of Windows 7 Ultimate
2. Install every Windows Update available
3. Turn Guest Account 'ON'
4. Set Network Discovery to 'ON'
5. Set Turn 'ON' file and printer Sharing
6. Turn Public Sharing 'ON'
7. Change Encryption to 40 or 56bit
8. Turn 'OFF' Password Protected Sharing
9. Turn 'OFF' Homegroups
10. Changed PCs Workgroup to match Ziova Z500
11. Shared desired Folder with 'Everyone' permission with full access
12. Set 'Everyone' permission with full access in the Security Tab
13. Went into 'Local Security Policy' and deleted 'Guest' from Deny Access to this computer from the network
14. Added Guest into Allow access to this computer from the network (Prob didn't have to but did to just make sure)

So after doing all that from my Ziova Z500 i can see the Windows 7 PC but when selected can't find any Shared Folders. I also have a Win 7 Laptop which can easily see and access the shared folders, but nothing from the Z500.. Any Ideas??

sort of working

hi i just installed retail ultimate version and it shows up on the z500 as a network pc and i can see the files on that, however when i look at the shared drives under network heading etc there are none. so it is a small 'w' win not a big 'W' win at this stage. i havent given up as i only did all this last night so will progress. Play to feature not working yet.

hi i just installed retail ultimate version and it shows up on the z500 as a network pc and i can see the files on that, however when i look at the shared drives under network heading etc there are none. so it is a small 'w' win not a big 'W' win at this stage. i havent given up as i only did all this last night so will progress. Play to feature not working yet.

yeah i am still at the same stage as you.. i have tried experimenting with things but still no luck.. keep us updated on any progress..

I have Windows 7 Ultimate but still not having any luck at all..

I just did a clean install and did the below steps without success, if there is something i have missed or an idea please let us know.

1. Full Install of Windows 7 Ultimate
2. Install every Windows Update available
3. Turn Guest Account 'ON'
4. Set Network Discovery to 'ON'
5. Set Turn 'ON' file and printer Sharing
6. Turn Public Sharing 'ON'
7. Change Encryption to 40 or 56bit
not necessary 8. Turn 'OFF' Password Protected Sharing
definitely necessary 9. Turn 'OFF' Homegroups
not necessary 10. Changed PCs Workgroup to match Ziova Z500
definitely necessary 11. Shared desired Folder with 'Everyone' permission with full access
12. Set 'Everyone' permission with full access in the Security Tab
13. Went into 'Local Security Policy' and deleted 'Guest' from Deny Access to this computer from the network
14. Added Guest into Allow access to this computer from the network (Prob didn't have to but did to just make sure)

So after doing all that from my Ziova Z500 i can see the Windows 7 PC but when selected can't find any Shared Folders. I also have a Win 7 Laptop which can easily see and access the shared folders, but nothing from the Z500.. Any Ideas??

I've had no luck so far with Ziova share discovery and Windows 7. However, I have been able to use existing favourites on the Ziova main screen to access drives on the Windows 7 machine. These favourites are just network paths that are in the Ziova's memory, so I set up the exact path on the new win7 install (including PC name) and they worked. This is a Kludge however, since I cannot replace these favourites with new paths since the Ziova and Windows 7 won't work together to discover newtwork shares. Knowing though that the Ziova can see the drives with a path provides some new information on what is wrong hopefully - to those that can solve this. Since the Ziova can see a designated path, then this indicates that the SMB is working. What is not working is Network share discovery.

Last edited:
When path is available as a favourite on main menu screen, these settings were needed to access path and files: 1. Full Install of Windows 7 Ultimate - Yes 2. Install every Windows Update available - OK 3. Turn Guest Account 'ON' – not needed 4. Set Network Discovery to 'ON' - OK 5. Set Turn 'ON' file and printer Sharing - OK 6. Turn Public Sharing 'ON' – not necessary 7. Change Encryption to 40 or 56bit – not a concern here – leave at 128 because this setting is not relevant here 8. Turn 'OFF' Password Protected Sharing – absolutely required to turn off password protection 9. Turn 'OFF' Homegroups – not relevant – Homegroups is an additional win7 feature that will not in itself make or break other networking settings. It’s really bjust like a setup wizard on steroids. Don’t use it in this context and don’t worry whether it’s on or off 10. Changed PCs Workgroup to match Ziova Z500 - absolutely required match workgroup name 11. Shared desired Folder with 'Everyone' permission with full access - required 12. Set 'Everyone' permission with full access in the Security Tab - required 13. Went into 'Local Security Policy' and deleted 'Guest' from Deny Access to this computer from the network - not sure this is needed – I didn’t have to set this to gain access via path. 14. Added Guest into Allow access to this computer from the network (Prob didn't have to but did to just make sure) – not sure this is needed – I didn’t have to set this to gain access via path. So, I don’t know what to change now to get file share discovery going – any more ideas?

Fully Working Solution for CS615

I have just posted this on the Whirlpool Forum where other people were having the same problems as everyone here. This solution works for the CS615, but probably not for earlier models that don't support NFS shares. Anyway, here's a copy of my post below:

I have a CS615, which used to work fine using SMB with WinXP and later Vista. I have just installed Win7 and have tried everything to get SMB file sharing to work with no luck. Eventually I gave up and sent a message to the support team. I received this reply:

Hi
Windows 7 sends an incompatible smb directory list status field
There won't be a firmware release for this

Regards,

Ziova Support Team

Looks like unless something changes with Win7 on MS's side, its never going to work.
With this in mind, I have given up on SMB and instead decided to use NFS file shares from my Win7 machine.
I just installed Hanewin NFS server on my Win7 machine (Networking Software for Windows) which is shareware. Only free for 30 days, but I'm sure there are other NFS servers about that are probably free if you don't want to pay.
Once installed, I went to the "NFS Server" under Hanewin in the start menu and went to the exports tab. From here, I clicked the "Edit Exports File" button and created my NFS Shares. In my case they were:
e:\Movies -name:Movies -public -readonly
"e:\TV Shows" -name:TV_Shows -public -readonly
e:\MP3 -name:MP3 -public -readonly

(Note: I deleted the example shares).
Once created, I just saved & closed. Then hit the "Restart Server" button. If you got it right, it will show each of the NFS shares in the window. This should be all the configuration you need to do on the Win7 machine (I didn't touch any other settings in Hanewin). The program runs as a service, so should start with windows when you boot.

Now on the Ziova CS615, you go into the Setup, then the Network options. Right at the bottom, you can select to add NFS shares. When it prompts you, just put in the IP address of your Win7 machine (in my case 192.168.1.1). Then when prompted for the share name, put in one of the ones you have defined on the NFS Server. In my case, the first was Movies. Then add any others (mine were TV_Shows and MP3).

These should now show up on the main menu of the Ziova and you can browse them just like SMB file shares (except it is faster and without the hassle).

I've only just done this, so haven't tested it much yet, but it definitely works so far. I hope this helps some of you guys, as I was about to go and buy a new NMP that is Win7 compatible, so this discovery has saved me a few hundred bucks!

One Final note: If you make a mistake and want to delete an NFS share from the Ziova main menu, just highlight it, then press "ALT" and then press "STEP" on the remote.

well that all sounds good except the fact that there wont be any updates to cater for us with older machines. well i have decided to go the other way and that is to put the motherboard and other internals in a nice little htpc case and put it next to my tv and projecter and do away with the z500 altogether even though it has worked well for many years. it is just getting old and too much trouble to update. so with a bluray player in this new machine and direct porting via hdmi and i will just open the link to the pc right click the file and open in my choice of media players. a lot easier and functional. too bad so if any onewants to buy my old unit i may as well well it.

Back