Windows 7 Can't setup FTP server

Mase123y

Hi

I was using the prerelease of Windows 7 and setup my ftp server just fine using a tutorial just like this one but not exactly FTP Server - Set Up on Your Computer - Windows 7 Forums It was a trial version of Serv-U that has expired. After that I just upgraded to the retail version of Windows 7 and got a coperate version of Serv-u version 6.1.0.5 Now I just can not remember how I set up my FTP server before. When I type my IP address into Internet Explorer I get no results. I think I turned off my windows firewall but the firewall in Windows 7 looks more confusing. I see it says its turned off but I also see Domain, Private and Public categories that say the firewall is on.

So I need some help setting up a FTP server from scratch. I think just up to I can get a result from putting in my IP address in Internet Explorer.

Thanks.

Solution
You can just use windows explorer to transfer files to and from an ftp site .. that you have a login name and password for. That would check it.
I wonder why Serv-u can't make the necessary firewall changes at setup ... uTorrent does.

What Im wondering is how can I check if my FTP site is accepting connections before I setup Serv-U. I setup a DNS but dont know if my computer is accepting connections. Even with the firewall off I dont know.

You can just use windows explorer to transfer files to and from an ftp site .. that you have a login name and password for. That would check it.

Solution
But we need to back up a bit. Since I installed Windows 7 it seems like it reset some of my network configurations. What do I need to check to make sure I can setup a FTP server?

Last edited:
Crap.. sorry I was watching football and thought you were trying to CONNECT to an ftp server. I'm not very good at fixing upgrade problems.... except to recommend a clean install. You know it must be getting blocked by a firewall.

This was just published a few days ago.... it's probably got the answers you need:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back