Windows 7 Can't turn firewall on

kipper125

I've had windows 7 for about 3 months now and I just decided to turn my firewall on (gets annoying when gaming), anyway, when I tried to enable it with windows action center, it said "Action Center can't turn on Windows Firewall". it gives me an option to enable it manually but when I go into the firewall settings, the only option I get is to "Use recommended settings". I click it and nothing happens. help? I've attached a few pictures to try and help

type services.msc in run box, scroll to windows firewall service, right click it, Properties, select from disable to automatic, then click start.

now you prob. be able to start the firewall from the ation center or controlpanel\windows firewall.

ok, I just did that and its already on automatic. I tried to enable it via that menu and I get the error "Windows could not start the windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log....." I don't know what else to do?

See if this will fix the problem.
Code:
How to reset Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP SP2

There are situations where-in you need to reset your Windows Firewall settings, after removing a Trojan etc. Resetting the Windows Firewall sets the configuration to factory defaults by removing all the programs / port / exceptions settings.

To reset the Windows Firewall to the factory default state, try this:

* Type firewall.cpl in Start, Run dialog.
    * Click the Advanced tab.
    * Click the Restore Defaults button.
    * Click Yes to continue when you see this dialog

Restoring the default settings will delete all settings of Windows Firewall that you have made since Windows was installed. This may cause some programs to stop working.

Do you want to continue?

The Windows Firewall is now turned ON, and set to factory default state.

Alternately, you can use the NETSH command-line to accomplish this:

Open a Command Prompt window and type NETSH FIREWALL RESET

This command resets firewall configuration to default. This provides the same functionality as the Restore Defaults button in the Windows Firewall interface.

Back