Windows 7 Cant use vista in dual boot

flyer3

I installed Windows 7 rc today and its working fine except for one problem. I used to be dual booting xp and vista. In the win 7 installer I formatted my drive with xp installed and then installed win 7 there I went through the installer with ease but then when I rebooted my computer I didnt have the dual boot screen so I wont be able to use vista now. I think it may have something to do with me formatting the drive with xp(now that I think of it I was kind of stupid to format that drive). So I would really apperciate it if anyone could help me be able to dual boot again. Thanks :)

Edit:nvm fixed it :razz:

Last edited:
Anyone? I kinda want to use vista for some other things that arent compatible with win 7 now. Oh and another thing that I forgot to mention was that I have two seperate hard drives a 200 GB and a 500 GB the 200 is my main disk and also where I have vista and win 7 installed. When i was dual booting, xp was on my C: drive and vista was on my D: drive I also had an E: drive(because C: and D: combined only had about 100GB) when I finished installing win 7 it now says in My Computer that win 7 is in C: (normal) my partition with the extra space is now D: and vista is on E: although vista and the space partition still have the same size as when they were switched around(D: had 39GB and E: had 108GB now its the other way round). Another thing is that when I was trying to install win7 the first time I was having a few problems. When i tried to install it the first time i kept getting the unable to create new system partition or locate existng partition error. I found out it was because on my 500 GB disk the partitions were dynamic and apparently the installer cant deal with this(strange). So anyways I took out the 500 GB installed win 7 put the 500 in and basically that led me to where I am now.

Last edited:
Anyone? I kinda want to use vista for some other things that arent compatible with win 7 now. Oh and another thing that I forgot to mention was that I have two seperate hard drives a 200 GB and a 500 GB the 200 is my main disk and also where I have vista and win 7 installed. When i was dual booting, xp was on my C: drive and vista was on my D: drive I also had an E: drive(because C: and D: combined only had about 100GB) when I finished installing win 7 it now says in My Computer that win 7 is in C: (normal) my partition with the extra space is now D: and vista is on E: although vista and the space partition still have the same size as when they were switched around(D: had 39GB and E: had 108GB now its the other way round). Another thing is that when I was trying to install win7 the first time I was having a few problems. When i tried to install it the first time i kept getting the unable to create new system partition or locate existng partition error. I found out it was because on my 500 GB disk the partitions were dynamic and apparently the installer cant deal with this(strange). So anyways I took out the 500 GB installed win 7 put the 500 in and basically that led me to where I am now.

It LOOKS like the XP (C:) partition was your boot partition (or the location of your MBR for your drive). Since you probably went ahead and deleted the partition and then remade it for Win 7, the data in the MBR was likely deleted and then re-written (Can someone confirm that I am spewing the right answer?). Therefore, to get Vista again, just reinstall Vista. Unfortunately, I know of no other way to get vista to boot again (unless the fixmbr command from the recovery console in XP works in Vista's recovery console).

Download and use EasyBCD. It can do one or two usful things. In your case it can be used to restore the MBR so that you can dual boot. If you have any problems understanding how to use it, post back and someone on these pages will help you.

Back
Top Bottom