Windows 7 Can't Watch MKV Files

Spottedfeather

Honorable Member
I have a movie that I'd like to watch on my PS3, but it's mkv, which PS3 doesn't recognise. I know you can convert mkv into mp4, which I did, but it doesn't work properly. I converted the file and put it on a thumb drive. The file will now show up when I open the thumb drive on my PS3, but when the movie starts to play, the music will start, but there will be no video. After a few seconds, the music stops...the entire movie stops.

Before this, the movie would start but only play 2 seconds, the music playing, and then freeze for a second, the music still playing. I don't understand what's going on. I've tried online programs to convert the movie file, but you can only convert 100mb size files. I found a program, multiAVCHD, which I used to convert the file and it DID convert it, but the file won't play on my ps3.

I really wish I could get this file converted properly.

yeah, it plays just fine on my computer. It just has a problem with my PS3. I've tried converting it again and will try it on my PS3 again later tonight. I finally found an online site that actually allowed me to convert the 700 something mb file instead of the 100 mb all the other sites said. Hope it works.

Try converting them to avi instead, seems the ps3 has issues with some mp4 files, if played from usb, You could first try copying the file onto the ps3 and then attempt playing it.

Try converting them to avi instead, seems the ps3 has issues with some mp4 files, if played from usb, You could first try copying the file onto the ps3 and then attempt playing it.
if my most recent try doesn't work, I'll try an avi version...

I did a google and people for awhile have been having issues with mp4 and corruption from usb. Bit of an odd problem but copying to the device seems to fix it.

What codec your MP4 video is encoded? There is a possibility that you convert MKV to MP4 in HEVC or VP9 codec. Thus you can play it on PC (Windows 10 I mean), but failed to play on PS3. If that's the case, re-encode your MKV to MP4 in H.264 codec. If not, ignore me pls...

You could just use VLC media player as it supports most if not all the codecs.

Back
Top Bottom