Windows 7 Careful what you click on

nice, thanks for this info. Since I haven't tried win 7 yet I am just going to isntall it I guess it's possible to turn on show extensions for unknown files right?

nice, thanks for this info. Since I haven't tried win 7 yet I am just going to isntall it I guess it's possible to turn on show extensions for unknown files right?

Turn off hide file extensions and good luck :)

I am not quite sure what that poster is saying?
It would have to remain an executable (com or exe) in order to run and damage the OS. Changing the handle to "txt" or similar, would make it inert? The only way the hacker could get around that problem, would be to put a further executable file into the OS, which would be detectable.
he is also overlooking the obvious. These days, any respectable anti virus program would have, in its DBase, any known variations of the virus and subsequently detect it anyway.

I am not quite sure what that poster is saying?
It would have to remain an executable (com or exe) in order to run and damage the OS. Changing the handle to "txt" or similar, would make it inert? The only way the hacker could get around that problem, would be to put a further executable file into the OS, which would be detectable.
he is also overlooking the obvious. These days, any respectable anti virus program would have, in its DBase, any known variations of the virus and subsequently detect it anyway.

I only posted the information as the originator seemed to feel it was important .
I go along with what davehc has said .
Still lots of people dont have anti -virus software or good security software .
Look at the problems with wireless connection theft due to lack of a password . So easy to fix yet many dont .

Wow, just goes to show you that anyone can write a blog. I wonder how he thinks Microsoft should "fix" that.

I make it a point to set up my windows installs to display the file extensions for just this reason.

As far as I know, turning 'show file extension' off and on is a fairly basic feature. I guess the blog scribbler ['writer' is too strong a word] is a shill for that other computer company.

"I'm a slobbering phanboy. I'm a M-c."

As far as I know, turning 'show file extension' off and on is a fairly basic feature. I guess the blog scribbler ['writer' is too strong a word] is a shill for that other computer company.

"I'm a slobbering phanboy. I'm a M-c."

Lol :) Good post :D

Back