Windows 7 CCleaner Behaving Oddly

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
CCleaner usually behaves itself, but often (today) it will not scan beyond 33%, System, Temporary Files. The programme stops responding at that point.

I tried to uninstall it with Revo, but it wasn't listed there. Took it out via Control Panel.

Re-downloaded it, but the installation stopped responding after a few seconds. Closed the install via System Explorer. Next attempt failed in the same way, but I noticed that, in System Explorer, a file ping.exe was running with it. Killing ping.exe allowed CCleaner to install, but on running it still choked on System - Temporary Files, stopped responding and had to be killed.

Restarting the machine made no difference, but closing it down first and then restarting allowed CCleaner to complete without choking on the temporary files.

Any ideas?

[Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP-1]

I would suggest running this; Link Removed - Invalid URL, just to be on the safe side.

Are you having issues with any other programs?

Don

I would suggest running this; Link Removed - Invalid URL, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks. I'll have a look at that. I have Avast, Zone Alarm and Malwarebytes. They say the machine is clean.

Don

Don't think so. At least not until the next time it freezes.

Regards,

Jim

Yes !

Running the Vipre programme turned up:

Listing quarantined items...
1. Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT
[File] C:\Progs\Sorcerer\sorcerer-v1.0.1.exe
[File] C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\Sorcerer.lnk

which is a false positive. Sorcerer has been on the machine (and others) for ages.

However after running this CCleaner started to behave in the same way, stopping at
the temporary files wipe, but without apparently ceasing to respond, as it could be
stopped normally.

But trying to run any other application was impossible or difficult. Either they wouldn't run or took a minute or more to come up. The machine could not be restarted normally and had to be switched off and on again after which it ran normally.

This has happened before, but we thought it was a conflict between Zone Alarm and Windows firewall, both of which were turned on, but this time the Windows firewall is off.

windows 7 has a good disk cleaner (to improve it go to run, type 'cmd,' then right click on the cmd that pops up to 'run as administrator' at the prompt that appears, type: cleanmgr/sagerun:1 ... this will give you many more cleaning options) might help clean those temps.

windows 7 has a good disk cleaner (to improve it go to run, type 'cmd,' then right click on the cmd that pops up to 'run as administrator' at the prompt that appears, type: cleanmgr/sagerun:1 ... this will give you many more cleaning options) might help clean those temps.

It has been behaving for the last few days. However, I'll print this and try it if it misbehaves again.

Regards,

Cheemag

I am also a fun of ccleaner.
Your situation is really odd. I think your computer is infected by virus or malware. Suggest that you the following:
1. run rkill
2. immediately run malwarebytes
3. full scan using your antivirus, suggest Avast.
reboot, then try to installing ccleaner again.
hope it helps.

something else that I use that hasn't been mentioned, you might have malware lurking in a registry stream (yuk). if that's the case, there's a free program that i have used that is very good at finding those buggers, it's called ADS Spy ver 1.11 - Alternate Data Streams (ADS) are pieces of info hidden as metadata on files on NTFS drives. They are not visible in Explorer and the size they take up is not reported by Windows. Recent browser hijackers started using ADS to hide their files, and very few anti-malware scanners detect this. Use ADS Spy to find and remove these streams.
Note: this app can also display legitimate ADS streams. Don't delete streams if you are not completely sure they are malicious!
here's the source link: Merijn.nu (just check the appropriate box)
also, i would run wise registry cleaner, freeware: http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html i use and like it.

Last edited:
To uninstall the ccleaner you can use uninstaller software.. It will help you to remove it properly.

I am also a fun of ccleaner.
Your situation is really odd. I think your computer is infected by virus or malware. Suggest that you the following:
1. run rkill
2. immediately run malwarebytes
3. full scan using your antivirus, suggest Avast.
reboot, then try to installing ccleaner again.
hope it helps.

I am still having issues with CCleaner-64. When it stops responding, a restart followed by running it again usually succeeds. However I'm now having shutdown problems as well - it's taking all of 5 minutes to shut down.

I've run Vipre Rescue several times as well as Malwarebytes Pro and Avast!; they turn up nothing. I'll try RKill, but I don't think it'll find anything either. A re-install wouldn't hurt ...

I am still having issues with CCleaner-64. When it stops responding, a restart followed by running it again usually succeeds. However I'm now having shutdown problems as well - it's taking all of 5 minutes to shut down.

I've run Vipre Rescue several times as well as Malwarebytes Pro and Avast!; they turn up nothing. I'll try RKill, but I don't think it'll find anything either. A re-install wouldn't hurt ...

Have you tried reinstalling CCleaner?
Here is another alternative software like CCleaner

Here's another software similar to CCleaner

Yes, on a CCleaner update. The install froze, had to do a restart, then it installed and worked. I'll try reinstalling it when it next misbehaves.

Yesterday I tried RKill immediately followed by a scan with Malwarebytes Pro and Avast! - it was clean.

Ran the Windows=7 disc cleanup tool - WinTV-7 stopped working and had to be reinstalled.

I think I'll revert to XP - it's certainly easier to maintain !

another software similar to CCleaner

Thanks.

using rkill already, seems like a drastic step, site says ' after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.' might be slowing your shutdown. have you looked at your scheduled tasks? msconfig? i would run enhanced windows cleaner to clear out detritus, and run checkdisk for good measure, wise registry cleaner is a great free cleanup tool that i use, they have other free tools too. i would also look at registry streams for malware, use ADS Spy to root them out free, and why are you using avast? i use mse, and consider it better protection.

I love that final hint on the rkill how to: On a final note, when you download and run RKill, certain anti-virus programs may state that the program is a security risk. This is because some of the tools used by RKill can be used for good or bad, though the programs themselves are perfectly harmless, and most anti-virus programs just lump them into the bad category. I assure you we are using them only for good purposes
thumbup.gif
(nice to be 'assured' lol)

Last edited:
Yes, on a CCleaner update. The install froze, had to do a restart, then it installed and worked. I'll try reinstalling it when it next misbehaves.

Yesterday I tried RKill immediately followed by a scan with Malwarebytes Pro and Avast! - it was clean.

Ran the Windows=7 disc cleanup tool - WinTV-7 stopped working and had to be reinstalled.

I think I'll revert to XP - it's certainly easier to maintain !

Thanks.

No problem, my friend :)

I love that final hint on the rkill how to: On a final note, when you download and run RKill, certain anti-virus programs may state that the program is a security risk. This is because some of the tools used by RKill can be used for good or bad, though the programs themselves are perfectly harmless, and most anti-virus programs just lump them into the bad category. I assure you we are using them only for good purposes
thumbup.gif
(nice to be 'assured' lol)

Indeed. Avast! wanted to run all RKill's processes in a sandbox, which would have defeated what RKill was trying to do. I was aware of this possibility.

It ran, followed by Malwarebytes Pro without turning up any malware. Vipre also completes with no malware found.

using rkill already, seems like a drastic step, site says ' after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.'

I was aware of this - I didn't reboot.

might be slowing your shutdown. have you looked at your scheduled tasks? msconfig? i would run enhanced windows cleaner to clear out detritus, and run checkdisk for good measure, wise registry cleaner is a great free cleanup tool that i use, they have other free tools too. i would also look at registry streams for malware, use ADS Spy to root them out free, and why are you using avast? i use mse, and consider it better protection.

I did run enhanced Windows cleaner (if you mean the bulit-in tool). It wrecked my WinTV-7 installation !

Checkdisk corrected a minor problem.

I'll try the others, but it's behaving itself for the moment. What is 'mse' ?

I was aware of this - I didn't reboot.

I did run enhanced Windows cleaner (if you mean the bulit-in tool). It wrecked my WinTV-7 installation !

Checkdisk corrected a minor problem.

I'll try the others, but it's behaving itself for the moment. What is 'mse' ?

mse is microsoft security essentials, good protection re: malware and viruses, think of it as payware for free from windows, does a great job, better, in my estimation, than Avast and far better than AVG, did you runADS Spy? I sure would, it can find malware lurking in registry streams. get it here: Merijn.nu
oh, enhanced window clleaner has powerful options, as you discovered lol. I tried glarysoft, they're not bad, i use wise registry cleaner 7 now, i think it's better, works well with ccleaner, too. You can get it at Wise Registry Cleaner - Best Free Registry Cleaner - speedup slow PC in one minute they also have a 5 star cleaner for free too:
Wise Disk Cleaner - Best Free Disk Cleaner - cleanup your disk in one minute

Back