CD stopped reading files

larryo

Suddenly my two cd roms stopped reading and displaying the files on any cd inserted. Windows recognizes and displays the title of the cd inserted in the navigation column of explorer, but when I click to display contents in details pane the drives just keep spinning and nothing is displayed. If I restore a month old backup the drives work perfectly but when I restore back to my current status they do not. I checked all autoplay reg. entries and they are OK. The Shell Hardware Detection service is running. Any help to get them reading the files again will be greatly appreciated. One drive is an LG and the other a Samsung.

Maybe this is due to a filter driver that's been installed? Have you installed any burning related software lately?

Run regedit and browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

What do you see as Upper and Lower filters? If there are filters, backup the key, remove them and reboot and try again.

Maybe this is due to a filter driver that's been installed? Have you installed any burning related software lately?

Run regedit and browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

What do you see as Upper and Lower filters? If there are filters, backup the key, remove them and reboot and try again.

There are no Upper or Lower filter entries. I am going to try removing them in Device manager, disconnect drives and reboot. Then shutdown reconnect drivesm reboot and let them be discovered again to see if that helps. Will let you know how it comes out.

Well I did the Uninstall, shutdown, disconnect, restart, shutdown, reconnect, restart to no avail. Still will not display files on CD's. Autorun works, but won't display files that way or clicking on CD in navigation pane. I did not install any programs recently only windows update. I plugged in an external USB CD ROM and everything worked as it should with no problem. My two CD's are connected via IDE and they both worked previously. I just ran my Quicken 2016 and they will not even write my Quicken backup files, so they not only don't read file but don't write them either. As mentioned prior they do show the CD title in the Navigation pane but read nothing else.

Does a command prompt show the files?

Further info: I uninstalled Nero, Alcohol 120%, and Magic ISO. Then uninstalled the CD's in Device Manager. Shutdow, rebooted, and nothing changed. I have no idea what to try next.

If you have access to the registry hives from your backup in which you say they worked can you compare the following registry key and all subkeys from the working image and non working image?

Note: You wouldn't have to completely restore the entire image, it is possible to mount your old HKLM keys as a temporary node using regedit. You simply run regedit, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click on File, Load Hive and browse to the old backups system32\config\SOFTWARE file, and give it a temporary mount name (anything will do).

I would be interested in seeing if there's any differences in that key.

Also using the command prompt can you check to see if Windows has created a temporary desktop.ini folder on both drives? And if so please use the command line DEL program to delete them.

Renew driver or goto prev driver or download drivers from manufacturiers site?
SOLVED. Well not exactly as to the cause but, I gave up trying to figure out what went wrong and reset Windows 10 using the repair option in safe mode. It is working now after doing the reset. It gave me two options to reset doing a clean install or to save my files. Don't believe it when it says it will not delete your files. Of over 30 files I had it did not delete 10 of them. I am now tasked with re-installing them. Might have been a good thing though as I really needed to clean this thing up. When I installed Win 7 way back when it first came out was the last clean install I did. Glad I saved all my serial/key numbers on an external drive. Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

Back