Windows 7 Change USER and Programs file location

Rinkydink

I performed a successful clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I installed the OS to a 100gb volume with the intention of using that only for the OS. I, without thinking, allowed the setup to name that drive C. Further, without noticing I allowed the Programs folder and the Users folder to go into this volume. I intended for everything but the OS to go into a large second file named E. My thinking is that the only way that I can fix this situation is to do a new clean install and get it right this time (as much as my limited knowledge will allow. I would appreciate any comments on how to rectify this.

Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz
Noctua NH-U12P Cooler
ASUS P5Q
OCZ Reaper 2X2GB DDR2 800 (PC 6400)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB
WD 250GB GB SATA II
Corsair CMPSU 550W

Moving Users folders is not so bad but Programs Files will be nigh on impossible with all the associated registry entries etc. What you are proposing to do is based on good practice - keeping the system drive to a minimum size but I would suggest a variation on what you propose. I would still install all apps to the system drive - there are so many inter-related settings (registry, dll files etc that they really belong together - if subsequently one of the drives became damaged or corrupted then the remaining drive would hold data which did not sync with the other). As far as the User folders are concerned - I would certainly avoid the defaulting to storing data, downloads, pictures, docs etc in there - all data should be kept on a separate drive. I never use all those "My This and My That folders - just encourages bad practice. Using this pattern of op sys and apps on one drive and all user data on another I have kept my system drive (Win 7 64 bit plus a host of apps) down to 18GB.

I have some additional questions: Are you lumping programs and apps in one folder together in the Systems drive? How much should I enlarge the System Drive ("C")? Space is not problem as I have a WD Caviar Black 1
TB. What about the continual monitoring of additions that will try to default to the C Drive? I am not knowledgeable enough to understand the interaction of these things.

Are you lumping programs and apps in one folder together in the Systems drive?
Buzzwords and terminology - nightmare eh! Programs (or software) may be divided into a number of main categories - two of which are system programs (which Windows is a few thousand of all grouped together) and Applications Programs (like Office etc). So apps is just a shorthand way of saying applications programs - all of which are installed by default into Program Files on the system drive.
How much should I enlarge the System Drive ("C")?
Unless you intend installing some really huge apps (like a number of very large games) you should find 40GB is plenty of space for your system drive (including all apps installed to the Program Files folder).
What about the continual monitoring of additions that will try to default to the C Drive? I am not knowledgeable enough to understand the interaction of these things.
When you install an application always select any options offered on install (rather than just accept defaults). Read things carefully as you work thru the install - don't just go mad clicking "ok" to everything (this is how you end end up with masses of stupid toolbars installed on your browser and how you end up installing loads of junk options you don't want (some of which is dangerous malware!). It should ask you (if it requires to store data anywhere) where you want to set a default to. Make sure you select the location you want it to default to. For any other programs (which you may already have installed) have a look in the options menu to see if there are any options to select for storing user data files, downloads etc. Do this especially in your browser for all downloads. The defaults only need setting once, it's not difficult and will help you keep your system organised.

Back
Top Bottom