cherrymood

Hello,
I have a laptop HP EliteBook 8740wWhose original charger no longer works, but the battery is good (thankfully) , it almost a year.
I found a universal charger planet saturn " hama " model achg -07: 100v- 240v , 1.6A max, output: 19V / 4.7A , 120W max !the original charger is Dell PA-10 family , model DA90PS0 -00 , 100V-240V , 1.5A , output: 19.5 V / 4.62 A, the power is not shown, but I guess that's 90 W.HP EliteBook 8740w battery, 11.1 V rating . ( I think I have given everything as elements)
When I turn on the pc, I get a message saying " power adapter not recognized ," in short, he sees that the charger is not original (they are in hefty dell though, I think! ) , We can move this message ,So it works on AC but the problem is that the battery does not charge with this transformer !So I wonder if this is an option or a setting in the pc, or a question of power or amperage but I find similar feature , right? ?
someone has an idea, a solution ? ( I know that dell original charger costs around € 30 , but good eh !)thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It seems like you are facing an issue with your HP EliteBook 8740w not charging the battery when using a universal charger from Hama due to the "power adapter not recognized" message. Here are some insights and possible solutions to consider:

Compatibility Issues:​

1. Voltage Difference: The Hama charger provides 19V output, while the original Dell charger had an output of 19.5V. This slight difference could be causing the laptop to reject the charger.
  2. Amperage Difference: The amperage on both chargers is quite close, so this might not be the main issue.

Possible Solutions:​

3. BIOS Update: Sometimes, laptops have specific checks in the BIOS to ensure only original chargers are used. Update the BIOS...
It seems like you are facing an issue with your HP EliteBook 8740w not charging the battery when using a universal charger from Hama due to the "power adapter not recognized" message. Here are some insights and possible solutions to consider:

Compatibility Issues:​

1. Voltage Difference: The Hama charger provides 19V output, while the original Dell charger had an output of 19.5V. This slight difference could be causing the laptop to reject the charger.
  2. Amperage Difference: The amperage on both chargers is quite close, so this might not be the main issue.

Possible Solutions:​

3. BIOS Update: Sometimes, laptops have specific checks in the BIOS to ensure only original chargers are used. Update the BIOS to see if it resolves the "power adapter not recognized" issue.
  4. Third-Party Tools: Certain third-party tools or software utilities might bypass the recognition check. However, using these tools can be risky and may void your warranty.
  5. Using a Dell Charger: If possible, try using a genuine Dell charger to see if the battery charges with it. This will help determine if the issue lies with the universal charger or the laptop itself.
  6. Hardware Compatibility: HP laptops tend to be sensitive to power input. Using a charger not specifically designed for your laptop might cause issues with charging.

Considerations:​

• Ensure the universal charger is of good quality and meets safety standards to avoid any potential damage to your laptop.
    • If the laptop is working on AC power from the universal charger but not charging, it could be an issue related to the power supply circuitry in the laptop.

Final Thoughts:​

Given the critical nature of power input for laptops, using a charger specifically designed for your HP EliteBook 8740w is generally recommended. Investing in a compatible charger might be the safest and most reliable solution in the long term to avoid any potential damage to your device. If you decide to continue using the universal charger, be cautious and monitor the laptop's behavior closely for any signs of overheating or malfunction. Feel free to try the mentioned solutions cautiously and share any updates or further details for more tailored assistance.

Solution