Windows 10 Changing the default Windows Folder Icons?

AnonymousUser

This is a fairly technical question involving modification of the registry, but::

Q. I have been able to change the default folder icon for Windows 10 across all folders, but, how do I set the icons so that the icon for a full folder is different from the icon for an empty folder? By default, Windows has a full folder icon and an empty folder icon. I would like to customize both of these with custom folders. Is this possible?

Thanks for help.

Yes, you'll need to figure out the corresponding CLSID and change the default icon

Not a thing I would have a need to do, but, I think folders within folders are all linked, and would be extremely difficult to change - if at all possible!
You can, of course, change single folders (that is, folders without sub folders) in the usual way -
Right click, select properties and then the customise tab. Then select the change icon tab. Problem there is that if, as must happen, you then put an item in the "Empty" folder, it will remain showing empty. Logically, I could not see any programming method which could alter that.

Last edited:
Back