Windows 7 Changing Windows Explorer background image?

Erbavore

I don't really like Aero. I can do without all the extra bloated transparency stuff. So, I'm using the classic style. I like it, however, I want to be able to change the toolbar background image for Explorer. Windows 7 lets me change its' color and other certain aspects, but I can't specify an entirely different image to use. After Googling, found Link Removed - Invalid URL, but it doesn't seem to work with 7. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey Eric,

How are you. Did you get 7 re-installed? I hope:)

Actually that post should read BackBitmap or BackBitmapShell, not BackBitmaShell

And I believe it only pertains to Internet explorer. But there is a differnt registry location that what I normally would see, so I'll give it a try.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
"SmBrandBitmap"="C:\\Windows\\skull26ani.bmp"
"BackBitmapIE5"="c:\\Windows\\Curly Maple.bmp"
"BackBitmapShell"="C:\\wood\\k11.bmp"
"SmBrandHeight"="16"

This all pertains to the old spinning logo in Internet Explorer 6 or older.

Well, the page said that it would change Window Explorer's toolbar, not IE's (I mean, in theory, it should be changing both.) But, I realize the registry location deals with the Internet Explorer keys, so, *shrugs*

What exactly do I do with the code you gave me? Do you expect it to work for IE or Windows Explorer.. ?

EDIT: Actually, maybe I could word the original question better. How do I edit the "Classic" theme in general? Are the files stored somewhere, or is everything defined through the registry? I was also hoping to replace the gray taskbar with an image I create.

Last edited:
Eric,

I should have stated that registry script was only an example.

I tried it and it does not work in Vista or Windows 7.
The BackBitmapShell entry changes Explorer's toolbar and BackBitmapIE5 changes Internet Explorer's toolbar.

About the only thing you can customize are the gradient colors and change fonts or border size.

Right-click on the desktop, choose personalize, click the Window color entry and here you can make those changes. Just click the drop-down menu to see all the options you can modify

About the only thing you can customize are the gradient colors and change fonts or border size.

Right-click on the desktop, choose personalize, click the Window color entry and here you can make those changes. Just click the drop-down menu to see all the options you can modify

Yeah, I'm aware of that. However, I'm convinced there are ways to more extensively customize your theme. Have you heard of Windows Blinds? It does that, but personally, I think it's overkill for the task I'm trying to accomplish.

Windows blinds is a little too expensive for me.

There are many shell replacements also out there

I'm searching my files and the Internet for more customization

I have on called 3D Color Changer, but I can't seem to find the older freeware version on the Internet...YET

I have on called 3D Color Changer, but I can't seem to find the older freeware version on the Internet...YET

I Googled the application, and it looks interesting. But, it's only capable of changing colors and not images, right?

Yes, that's right

I found an old vb script that allows you to change the title of Internet Explorer 8

Just a simple customization trick. if you're interested, let me know..

I'm going through all my registry hacks for customization and see if they work on Windows 7

I did find it worked on Windows Mail in Windows 7, but there's a trick to get it to work..

If you want that information, just post back.

Hello again,

Well you always have the option of downloading Microsoft Live Essentials where you can choice what programs you want to include or exclude from the list. here's a link to that:

Essentials - Windows Live

Or there's a nice open source mail client called Thunderbird which looks very similar to Windows Mail & Outlook express. you can download that here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Good luck!

Hello again,

Well you always have the option of downloading Microsoft Live Essentials where you can choice what programs you want to include or exclude from the list. here's a link to that:

Essentials - Windows Live

Or there's a nice open source mail client called Thunderbird which looks very similar to Windows Mail & Outlook express. you can download that here:

Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

Good luck!

Huh? I have Thunderbird already. I don't think you understand the issue, honestly. I'm wanting to change the title bar of any window.

OH man,

I think it's time to take a break from posting....I'm losing it:)

Now, it;s just not possible in Windows 7.

And the custom bacjground only works with Windows Mail, it won't work with Thunderbird.

Sorry.

Back