Windows 7 chipset drivers

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I have uninstalled and installed other drivers but not these.
I have a dell XPS 8100 x 64 and when I went to the Dell site it recommended two drivers.
Could you please tell me the next steps in replacing these drivers?
I do not see where to uninstall them if necessary and do not know if I should install both by clicking on them and in what order.
Tahnk you
Peter

Dell drivers normally come as .exe files. Download and run them. They should take care of the install.

What beside Chipset are you looking at?

The ATI Radeon 5450 video card was giving me problems which both ATI and AMD said is widespread. I had Dell send and install an Nvidea card which required a VGA >DVI adapter.
Neither they not I could install the Nvidea drivers. I even used DriverSweeper in safe mode. I am not too experienced but am trying to do my homework. At the Nvidea site I used the automatic choice to verify that I had the driver I was given. It seemd to go well but just at the end it simply said it could not be done - with no specifics.
A friend suggested installing the chipset drivers but I do not know how. I went to the Dell site and it recommended two drivers.
I did not know if I simply doule click one, follow prompts then do the same with the other, or if I should just install one.
I did not know if there was prep work to be done.
I gather I just click on install for one, and when done, do the same for the other.
Thank you for your continued interest and support.

Chipset drivers may be required, depending on what Win 7 offers, for things on the motherboard. They handle many of the basic operations and are a good starting point. Win 7 will sometimes install generic drivers that are not as efficient as specific drivers.

What Nvidia card is it, and Nvidia is very good about keeping drivers available. Just download and run the .exe file. Video drivers are changed all the time, even through Windows Update. Did the Dell person remove the ATI drivers? If not there may be a way to do that now, let us know.

Hello Win 7x64
The current card is an Nvidia Ge Force GTS 450.
Yes the drivers were removed and even DriverSweeper was run to clean out remnants.
I now know how to just download the drivers Nvidia offers so thanx for that.
Some of this is hypothetical as I just received contact from Dell that due to the poor history of this machine and persuant complaints(7 field techs)I am being sent a new 8300 as 8100 is no longer made.
I had an ATI HD Radeon 5450 in it whch had all the trouble. This Nvidia card I just described will go back to Dell unfortunately as they are sending a nNvidia GT 420 1 GB Dvr 3 which is supposed to be equal to the ATI card I originally had.
This new one must be the same level as my original ATI one.
Well I hope the new machine runs better. We do no gaming or do nothing that demands a lot from a grahics card. We email and read things on the web etc. I continue my education with kind prople like you.
Thank you as you answered my question as to how to get chipset drivers.
Peter

Thank you for the cordiality and the advice. I think I may be back when the new machine arrives as I thrive on learning via the forum.
Great weekend

Back
Top Bottom