Windows 10 chrome browser question

corvairbob

i use the chrome browser like many do. when i start my pc and open the browser it take me to 2 tabs this i have set to open for yahoo mail and ebay. but when i open another tab i get this page that has just a blank page and some what i think are shortcuts. the problem is it seems every time i visit another site then open another new tab i have another shortcut on that new tab i just opened. i can x them out but they just keep showing up. and if i do not x them out i get like 10 of them and then a bunch in the background.

is there a way to turn those off? i would like to save a few but only a few. i managed to make it so the few sites the i do visit often stay there but i sure would like to turn off the ones this tab page wants to add at every new site i visit.

even if i x it out and then happen to go back to that site at a later day or time again i see that same shortcut. so is there a way to turn this off ? thanks

Solution
Browser data is just temp data, it isn't that actual config data for Chrome.

Remove Chrome
Then delete C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome (or rename Chrome.bak)
Reinstall
You can just hover over the listed shortcuts and then click on the 3 dots that appear upper right of the shortcut and remove them.

been there done that and they return i do not get the 3 dots all i get is an x. i tried to show a screenshot but that failed to show. so here is a picture of my new tab with the mouse hovering over one of the shortcuts and there is no 3 dots only the x. thanks

Attachments

• 20191219_151702_Film4[1].webp
    20191219_151702_Film4[1].webp
    784.8 KB · Views: 91
Oh you're on suggested layout. Bottom right corner of a "new page" click customize > shortcuts. Change it to "My Shortcuts"

i do not see anything in the page but for what is in the picture. if i got any lower i'm in the taskbar. i'm using this on the pc win10 os. if that makes any difference. not on a chromebook.

ok i do not open google it just goes to that blank page sith the shortcuts. so i will open a google and see thanks

ok i went to google.com and i do not get this same screen i get a blank screen with google search in it and the rest looks nothing like your showing me. i can send a picture of that page also.

I'm not on Google.com you can choose to have a search bar on the new page

i guess it will not work ans i use yahoo for search. when i open a new tab all i get is that page i send. and it has those shortcuts in it. i guess i can have it open google for a search but i have better results with yahoo than i do with google.

Your picture doesn't show the bottom right of the browser, you may just see a pen or gear icon.

ok this is the complete screen there is nothing there this is what i get when i open a new tab. thanks

Attachments

• 20191219_155833_Film4[1].webp
    20191219_155833_Film4[1].webp
    898.3 KB · Views: 120
Hmm it might not be defaults, I've just had this enabled for a long time.

In a browser tab type chrome://flags then search NTP and enable the following (change from default to enable)
1576789457686.webp

It should ask to reload. Then you should have the customize button or icon

nope not in a new tab or in going to google. i have both set now to enabled and still do not see that lower right box or the 3 dots on the shortcuts. thanks

HI SORRY Google my translator really fat. The real question is when you quit your browser do you get to work and choose to turn off the screen?

i can go up with the mouse and click the x to close any tab i have open. then i can also go up with the mouse and click on that x at far upper left and close the complete browser. and then all i see is the desktop. thanks

Last edited:
HI Without the device would you turn off the total / software. ? turning off your device? about 5 min?Without battery

Last edited:
Back