Windows 7 Clarification on "Upgrading from RC/RTM to Final"..

Radenight

Clarification on "Upgrading from RC to Final"..

Hello all,

I've noticed alot of people wondering if they'll be able to simply Upgrade from the RC to the Final Retail version once it goes live on October 22nd, 2009.

Short answer: NO.. ;)

You will have to do a Clean Install to go from the RC to the Final Retail Version.. An upgrade just won't work.. ;) So my advice is to start creating backups of all your personal files now so once the Retail goes live your all set to go and won't need to spend hours burning stuff before installing..

Now, this is where you need to remember the little "Upgrade Media Trick" so you don't end up spending more money on Windows 7 than you really have to.. Refer to the following thread for the Guide on "How to perform a Clean Install using the Upgrade Media": http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/8123-info-regarding-upgrade-media.html

This trick will allow you to purchase the Upgrade version of Windows 7 and still be able to perform a Clean Install.. Thus saving you a good chunk of money and still allowing you to enjoy the benefits of a Clean Install.. :)

My apologies if this thread is a tad repetitive but I felt it was neccessary as the same questions are being asked over and over in various sections of the forum.. Hopefully this clears things up a bit..

Cheers for now!

Ok I figured that would be the most likely scenario. I personally don't own vista I never left XP but love Win 7 would I be able to reinstall XP then use the upgrade disc to win7? I would I even need to reinstall XP? I'm somewhat of a OS novice.

My apologies I probably should have read your Info regarding Upgrade Media thread first
Big thanks to you all around

The Free Upgrade program was around when VISTA first came out and should be used wisely. I got it when VISTA was around and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm still not quite sure what the difference between RTM and Final are if they are supposed to be "identical". If they are identical, why would one even need to "upgrade" from the RTM to the final? Can someone please clarify? Thanks.

RTM (Release to Manufacturing)

"RTM" and "Final" are tossed round interchangeably...... They refer to the same thing (keep reading). One would not upgrade from RTM to Final or anything else for that matter. When the final builds are voted on and approved, probably 7300, they will be what is available in the stores and on TechNet, etc. and will be referred to as RTM or Final. The issue will be whether you can upgrade any of the RC's or Beta's to RTM, likely Build 7300. I content where there is a will their is a way. The main issue is why? Any upgrade (other than upgrading to itself to avoid having to buy the "Full Version") leaves stuff around from the previous build. A clean install is the way to go since that will hopefully be the last install you do unless you crash or get a new machine. Again, I intend to fully explore the upgrade from RC to RTM just to see if it can be done but I'll ultimately do a clean install.

I was also a little confused by the OP on this one. I assume it must be a mistype, as the way it's worded they're putting RC/RTM together as though you might want to 'upgrade' from RTM to the Final. Obviously you can't 'upgrade' from the RTM as it's the exact same thing as the Final. The only distinction is that RTM is when the product is finalised, and shortly after is made available to OEMs - Final is when the same version hits the shelves for the public to buy.

I was also a little confused by the OP on this one. I assume it must be a mistype, as the way it's worded they're putting RC/RTM together as though you might want to 'upgrade' from RTM to the Final. Obviously you can't 'upgrade' from the RTM as it's the exact same thing as the Final. The only distinction is that RTM is when the product is finalised, and shortly after is made available to OEMs - Final is when the same version hits the shelves for the public to buy.

You assumed correctly.. ;) Thanks... :)

In a letter from Microsoft, you will be able to upgrade from windows 7 rc to whatever system you purchase, Windows 7 basic, home premium, professional etc... I purchased the Professional version as it has all the features I need without the extra junk I never use anyway. This letter came out 3 weeks ago fromTechNet News letters. I was worried about this as I upgraded from Vista home Premium to Windows 7. I made back up discs just to be safe. I was afraid I would have to re-install my original OS before being able to upgrade to Win 7.

"RTM" and "Final" are tossed round interchangeably...... They refer to the same thing (keep reading). One would not upgrade from RTM to Final or anything else for that matter. When the final builds are voted on and approved, probably 7300, they will be what is available in the stores and on TechNet, etc. and will be referred to as RTM or Final. The issue will be whether you can upgrade any of the RC's or Beta's to RTM, likely Build 7300. I content where there is a will their is a way. The main issue is why? Any upgrade (other than upgrading to itself to avoid having to buy the "Full Version") leaves stuff around from the previous build. A clean install is the way to go since that will hopefully be the last install you do unless you crash or get a new machine. Again, I intend to fully explore the upgrade from RC to RTM just to see if it can be done but I'll ultimately do a clean install.

The retail bits will be the same, but the OEM distributors (computer manufacturers) have to add their custom drivers and software into a preload image before they start selling Windows 7. Releasing it RTM to the distributors gives companies like Dell time to fill their new machines with bloatware, unless that policy has changed :)

upgrading from rc to retail

I received a email from Microsoft telling me we will be able to upgrade from the RC to the RTM version when we receive the RTM upgrade. We already have a bonafide system or we wouldn't have been able to download the RC in the first place. Nothing illegal about it at all. Instructions for a custom or clean install as well as upgrade will be included with the new disc. Also 32 and 64 bit systems will be included in the same purchase and the activation code will be the same for both systems. I don't know if they will be on separate discs or on the same one, but seems like a lot of data for one disc. They say this is a little payback for our help in developing the new Windows 7 OS.
I was afraid we would have to reinstall our previous version of Vista Home Premium before we could do the upgrade. I will probably opt for the clean install so I can get rid of everything that might interfere with the new OS. Windows and HP are pretty good at updating the system so I'll go that route and let them find and install all the drivers and upgrades as necessary.

Please be advised that I wasn't suggesting that anyone should do this. I just found it and thought it might be of interest to people here. I always do clean install. That way there are no screw-ups carried over to the new operating system. Beside that I almost always decide to leave out programs that I had installed in the past because I found something better or just didn't like them.

Also I like the feature in W7 that saves your previous installation into the Windows.old folder. I just go into it and copy anything I might have forgotten to back up into my new installation then delete the folder. That is an awesome feature.

Please accept that you are not understanding this correctly. I am Microsoft Partner and an Invited Microsoft Beta Tester for both Vista & Windows 7. As such I was given both Vista RTM & Windows RTM as \"thank-yous\"... point being, I first hand know what you are referring to & what I'm talking about. I, even think I know the letter you mention but, you have not interpreted things correctly.

You cannot \"upgrade\" from RC to RTM!! Hell, it was even advised, if not begged, that ppl not \"upgrade\" from Beta to RC and they were both betas... RTM is not beta!!

What the letter said was, as of Aug. 6th RTM was available & Beta Testers could \"move to it/migrate to\" it after the RC... not upgrade to it, sure not in the sense you are using the word.

1, it is unacceptable (high risk) to go beta to non-beta when an OS & 2, RC gives no purchased license... either refer back to a Genuine, already owned Vista or XP (to upgrade) or Clean Install a non-beta... since Microsoft or specifically the Windows 7 Build Team gave RTM, w/ it they also give a key (different 1 than you had for the betas) leaving no excuse not to do a Clean Install, even w/out referring back to a previous (genuine, non-beta) OS.

Upgarding from a beta OS to non-beta OS does not even come into the picture... it is not an option!

The 2 links below relate. The 2nd has to do w/ data migration during OS deployment & installation

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

User State Migration Tool 4.0

Regards,
Drew
Pres. Computer Issues

\"A scan a day keeps the nasties away\"

I hate to say it but since Microsoft gave anyone and everyone a chance to actually download and use the Beta and RC of Windows 7 saying that your a Invited Microsoft Beta Tester really doesn't have much meaning now.. Since we all were invited Beta testers for Windows 7.. ;)

You make a good point regarding upgrading to the RTM from the RC though.. ;) I still don't understand why people even want to do that.. It just doesn't make sense..

Clarification on "Upgrading from RC/RTM to Final".. Reply to Thread

You evidently didn't read my complete reply to his thread, and the letter I received said you can do a clean install as an upgrade from the RC. You must have read a different letter. Twisting words and trying to tell me what I didn't read is kind of ridiculous. I am in no way a technician in this field and I have read others that are way off too, but I do know how to read and interpret things and have been doing so for over 70 years. Thanks for the input. No need to try to sound like a jerk.

Upgrade, Clean Install, In Place Install

I received a email from Microsoft telling me we will be able to upgrade from the RC to the RTM version when we receive the RTM upgrade. We already have a bonafide system or we wouldn't have been able to download the RC in the first place. Nothing illegal about it at all. Instructions for a custom or clean install as well as upgrade will be included with the new disc. Also 32 and 64 bit systems will be included in the same purchase and the activation code will be the same for both systems. I don't know if they will be on separate discs or on the same one, but seems like a lot of data for one disc. They say this is a little payback for our help in developing the new Windows 7 OS.
I was afraid we would have to reinstall our previous version of Vista Home Premium before we could do the upgrade. I will probably opt for the clean install so I can get rid of everything that might interfere with the new OS. Windows and HP are pretty good at updating the system so I'll go that route and let them find and install all the drivers and upgrades as necessary.

Is the definition of the term "upgrade" not causing confusion here? When Microsoft says "upgrade" they mean to replace a current OS with a (presumably) newer one, or "better" one. This does not specifically refer to whether this is a clean install or an in place install. Microsoft would say something like, "You can "upgrade" Windows XP to Windows 7 but you must perform a clean install. You can, however, perform an in place upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7." Either way, you would be performing an "upgrade" by Microsoft terminology.

: Clarification on "Upgrading from RC/RTM to Final".. Reply to Thread

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

This document outlines supported and unsupported upgrade paths for editions of the Windows® 7 operating system.

Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios

· Upgrades to Windows 7 from the following operating systems are not supported:
· Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista® RTM, Windows Vista Starter, Windows 7 M3, Windows 7 Beta, Windows 7 RC, or Windows 7 IDS
· Windows NT® Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2
· Cross-architecture in-place upgrades (for example, x86 to x64) are not supported.
· Cross-language in-place upgrades (for example, en-us to de-de) are not supported.
· Cross-SKU upgrades (for example, Windows 7 N to Windows 7 K) are not supported.
· Upgrades from Windows Vista to Windows N, Windows K, Windows KN, or Windows E are not supported.
· Cross-build type in-place upgrades (for example, fre to chk) are not supported.
· Pre-release in-place upgrades across milestones (for example, Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM) are not supported.
This is in a document from Microsoft and should clear up any confusion. Yep! I misinterpreted the letter and owe Drew an apology for my smarta-- reply. Sorry 'bout that Drew. I owe you one, Buddy. Lamar

Clarification on "Upgrading from RC/RTM to Final

Supported Upgrade Scenarios

From Windows Vista (SP1, SP2)
Upgrade to Windows 7
Business
Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate
Enterprise
Enterprise
Home Basic
Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate
Home Premium
Home Premium, Ultimate