Windows 7 Classic vs. New Start Menu

Classic or New(Aero) Start Menu?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
love it

I think the new menu is waaaaay better. The search feature makes all the difference.

Most people know what they are going to the start menu for in the first place, so a quick type in and enter and bam your program is launched. Anything to save those extra few second of your life haha. Also... i used to hate it when i couldnt find the program i was looking for in my 3 pages of programs lol.

I cant think of one improvement.

I have to say I like the new taskbar it is organized easy to open and group windows and if you have a touch monitor it is bigger which is most welcome!!

Wow, you guys just aren't getting it are you. The point was CHOICE. I put that in red so maybe the word would register this time. Some people are having a hard time with that smaller menu. We want the CHOICE again to make the menu comfortable to our eye. A lot of us are senior citizens (or getting there) and had something that was easy to use that has now become a problem for us. All other versions of Windows gave us a CHOICE. Why has this version become a dictator?

Last edited:
wow ok lets all chill a little shall we. Yes we all have a choice i agree. But when it comes down to it the operating system is owned by microsoft which means they get the choice to do what they want with it. It's that simple!!! Many hours of input were put into during the beta and RC releases but no real strong opposition to microsofts plan was put into place. Please remember that the coding for the classic menu is 15-17 years old which began in 95. It is outdated and needed to be replaced.

Please remember that the coding for the classic menu is 15-17 years old which began in 95. It is outdated and needed to be replaced.
Yeah and the basic design of the automobile is over 100 years old and we are still using it!

Why replace it and not improve on it like automobiles?

Knives, forks, and spoons have been in use for over 2,000 years.

Come on! I have been using the new menu everyday for one week and still I am having a hard time finding things. Search does not find everything. I can outdo new menus by using classic menus any day. It is all about function and speed and ease of use!

The new menu is basically made for marketing purposes. Otherwise Windows 7 is great with the exception of the lack of classic menus option and the DAMN BOOT PROBLEMS AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! I keep using the DVD in order to boot.

WHERE IS SP1??????????????????????

Last edited:
I prefer Classic, I use it in Vista. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I use 7, I guess I'll have to get used to the new menu.

How to map the winkey + Character-Feature of old start menu?

The app from "sourcecode boy" (core affinity resident) doesn't work over here. The app is open in taskman, but nothing happened o.0

Is there any way to start your apps with winkey + Character (winkey + f = firefox, winkey + o = opera, ...)? I didn't see a possibility in csmenu to add apps at the top of the menu itself.

Did something with autoit (unfortunately, _isPressed function to get winkey-presses ate up 50% of the cpu, hotkey-Function doesn't work if used with winkey). Anybody (e.g. you, Thomas Wormald, creator of the big csmenu-app?) got a clue how to map this?

Thx for any advice, nice forum btw. :)

Ask toolbar

Am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that Wormald is installing programs on people's computers -- specifically the Ask toolbar -- without their permission? I can't think of anything more obnoxious or unethical that a programmer can do. Wormald, you are nothing more than a jerk.

Hi, apologies for not replying for a while, I've been really busy with college etc...

I can't think of anything more obnoxious or unethical that a programmer can do. Wormald, you are nothing more than a jerk.

I no longer have the time to develop CSMenu, due to focusing on college work and applying to University. Because of this, another developer has taken over the development of CSMenu, and I no longer control what goes on. If you have any complaints, bugs, suggestions etc, then please use this forum : CSMenu | Google Groups

Did something with autoit (unfortunately, _isPressed function to get winkey-presses ate up 50% of the cpu, hotkey-Function doesn't work if used with winkey). Anybody (e.g. you, Thomas Wormald, creator of the big csmenu-app?) got a clue how to map this?

Once again, please use the link above.

Thanks,

Thomas.

Boot Problem fixed! It was the sata cable! Damn Murphy paid me a visit it seems! :D
Firefox misbehaves and ie 8 also. I guess I will have to wait for SP1.:razz:

Its because people are allowed to choose more than one option. So lets say i choose option one and two. That means that for the one person i choose two options. It does it on a per person poll option. Some people must have selected multiple answers and that would be the reason for it drew.

"Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night"

Ah... yes....

For those of you who prefer not to march to the beat of a single drum, your voices have been heard and someone has risen up to defy those who would take away your freedom of "CHOICE".

No, you do not have to give up your comfort and be forced into a position where "you just have to get use to" something you don't like, although that seems to be what is being preached to us on a daily bases of late.

Go here if you seek freedom from oppression! =)
Navigate Windows 7 From a Vintage-Style Start Menu With CSMenu - PC World

"Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. "

Dylan Thomas

Oh Yeah!

Just had to come back and tell you guys how great this works! I can see all my programs and stuff at once again.

Don't get me wrong. I did (and do) like the new Windows 7 Start menu and will turn it on from time to time because I think its pretty kewl BUT......... as I said before....... it is difficult to do all that mousing and maneuvering to find what you are looking for in such a small area (for a lot of us). Not only that but sometimes we just like to see it all at once so we can play with it.

People are not all the same. We have different needs and that should be respected.

All programs button is a pain

I find that the all programs menu is a pain to use if you have more than about 20 programs installed. With 120 like I have on my XP machine, it will not be usable at all. It would be nive if you could split them into groups manulally instead of windows doing it. Sometimes it gets it right, but not always.

Back