Cloning and Bitlocker on USB Stick vs External SSD.

ztplru

Extraordinary Member
Dear community,

I am hoping to get answers from users who have done this with success.
Because of the smaller form factor, I prefer to get a USB-C "1TB USB Stick" than a "Small sized External SSD".

The fact deletion of files from USB stick don't go to recycle bin, does not bother me!

Question 1:
Can i clone my entire Win 10 image to C partition on the USB while having D partition for other files and have Bitlocker enabled on it and everything working properly?
Any issues?

Question2:
All in all, does a USB stick in general truly behave like an external HD, or there are other limitations?

If there are, i will have to buy an external SSD; period!

Really looking forward for your feedback.

Ps: Hope @Neemobeer has time to chime on this.

Unless it's a Gen2 USB 3.1 port it's probably not going to run as fast as an internal drive. USB drives are treated as temporarily connected storage hence no recycle bins.

Q1: Yes you could do what you described and it should work fine.

Q2: Other than my opening statement they are mostly the same.

Unless it's a Gen2 USB 3.1 port it's probably not going to run as fast as an internal drive. USB drives are treated as temporarily connected storage hence no recycle bins.

Q1: Yes you could do what you described and it should work fine.

Q2: Other than my opening statement they are mostly the same.

Dear Neemobeer,

Thanks for chiming in !!!

It's a Gen1 3.1. This one:
SanDisk Ultra® Dual Drive Luxe USB Type-C™ Flash Drive | Western Digital Store

The only 1TB USB i found.
Do you know of a small form 1TB USB Gen2 3.1?

Is there a way to make a USB drive be treated as an external ssd, hence sending files to recycle bin?

You want to make sure the port on the computer is Gen2 3.1 (aka thunderbolt) otherwise it won't matter what speed the device is and no there is no way to change how Windows identifies the device.

Yep got a thunderbolt port Neemober!
Considering a gen2 3.1 flash drive of at least 512GB ain't available, i will have to wait for one to come out!

For now will just purchase a small 2tb external ssd, as i need to do some urgent backups.

Back
Top Bottom