Windows 7 Code 31 driver issue

Pauli

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
Lost in the swamp once again... I have this newly built PC, some six months old, with USB 3. I never had the use for USB 3 until now, when I got myself a Buffalo exterior disk, for safety copies.

And bingo, I found myself somewhat in the area of USB / USB 2 for Win 98 and XP: they didn't really work that well, in all cases, did they? A heck of a lot of driver issues.

Well now, the disk works fine with USB 2. No problem. The problem is shown in the
screenshot:

USB3.jpg

Trying FixIt, it told me the driver(s) aren't installed, and it can't continue. Trying to install the USB 3 drivers from the original Asus mobo disc leads to "no response", the installation doesn't start at all. And checking with Windows Device Manager, it tells me "all is well" - right click on the question marks and "update drivers" leads to "Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date".

Seems like one part of Windows is contradicting the other. Go figure?

Jolly good. Sounds like Adolf Hitler stating, "We have a war against everyone, but we are at peace with everyone. I'll kick your left, if you promise I'll kick your right. That way we have balance."

Boof. No offense.

Did you load the chipset drivers for the system? You may need those before the USB 3.0 drivers will load.

USB 3.0 seems to have a lot of conflicts I see over at WD forums. Try deleting the USB 3.0 drivers so they reload. Is the USB 3.0 from MB or a addon card? If it's a card check the manufacturer's site for updated drivers.
Joe

@Saltgrass: I did run the whole of ASUS mobo disc, including USB 3 drivers.
USB3_2.jpg

@Joe S: It's a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX mobo, support up to 8 USB 3. I connected my disk directly to to mobo USB 3, so it shouldn't be a problem with cables.

HOWEVER: I seem to have solved the problem. I deleted drivers manually, according to Windows Device Manager, resulting in a small catastrophe where my mouse wouldn't work, and my keyboard was more or less handicapped. I was about to give it all a big kick, but then I restored my Windows from an image and... guess what? Here I write, and the blasted Buffalo runs at 3.0.

End is well, all is well. Hooray!

Could you attach an updated Device Manager picture, like the first one? Just interested in how the devices look now...

I did a total repair installation for Windows 7, lost a couple of programs and blaah-blaah, didn't solve the USB 3 problem, but here's
the latest Device Manager,
USB3_5.jpg

Not sure, but it may be an ASUS problem?

What I saw on WD forum it looks like USB 3 is not as trouble free as USB 2. A lot of other hardware seemed to cause conflicts. Things by Logiteck were mentioned several times. Also the order they were installed came into play. I suspect it it involves other USB connected devices. It didn't seem to matter if it was an addon card ot the MB.
Joe

What I was looking is all the "Standard" devices for USB. I have a different chipset, so that may explain it, but check out mine for a Asus Z77 board. I would still see if you can get the chipset drivers to load, unless you thing they already have. If you system devices identify the correct chipset on your board, maybe they have.

Attachments

• USB3.gif
    USB3.gif
    91.5 KB · Views: 297
What I saw on WD forum it looks like USB 3 is not as trouble free as USB 2. A lot of other hardware seemed to cause conflicts. Things by Logiteck were mentioned several times. Also the order they were installed came into play. I suspect it it involves other USB connected devices. It didn't seem to matter if it was an addon card ot the MB.
Joe
It seems to be like the earlier USBs, with Win 98 and XP: they were troublesome too, both USB and USB 2. A kind of heritage here?

The latest I got was

USB3_6.jpg
code 19. Busy with two major projects, I don't really have the time to fuss with Windows. I'll stick with USB 2.0, unless someone wants me to start a war?

Thanks people. It'll probably get solved, I hope, I trust, I do believe. :)

I never had any problems with USB 2. I think a lot of the trouble is the huge number of items now using USB. It used to be keyboards, mice, routers,modems and printers all had their own ports now almost all are USB.
Joe

I'm bound to agree with you, Joe. Can't remember I had problems with XP and USB 2.

I'm quite busy with work right now, and since the Buffalo Station works very well with USB 2, I'll keep it there - it's only for Windows backups, thus not needed to be highly efficient. I'm also, probably, making a Europe trip, leaving my PC out of work for quite a while.

But still, the problem should be solved. How - Heaven only knows!

Ok, bingo. I got the Buffalo disk working at USB3 via a trouble of another member, http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-rumors-news/86374-bluetooth.html#post278270, being driven to

USB3_8.jpg

where the nasty exclamation mark was noticeable with HD-PCTU3 disk. So, I went all the way, and puff! - I ended here,

USB3_9.jpg

Jolly good, it works! I must admit, it was probably my flaw, from the beginning. I'm quite certain that both Buffalo and Microsoft engineers know better than I do. But then, errare humanum est.

Back
Top Bottom