Windows 7 Colour of label containing text underneath desktop icon

Sparks3000

I'm not sure if this is the same question as has been asked elsewhere, so please accept apologies in advance if it is : as far as I can tell, other questions seem to relate to a slightly different issue.

In Windows XP, it used to be the case that the text underneath a desktop icon could be contained within a box, and that box could be made to be any colour you wanted. In order for this to work, you had to enable 'use drop shadow under desktop icons', and then right-click anywhere on the desktop and go through the relevant procedure ( which I'm not itemising in full, partly because I'm sure most of you are familiar with it anyway, and partly because I can't remember the exact details of every step - but I'm sure you know the procedure I'm referring to ).

Long story short, I've recently 'upgraded' ( and at the time of writing I still feel justified in using the air-quotes! ) to Windows 7 64-bit and am very much in the process of getting used to some of the differences and changes. One of those differences, as far as I can tell, is that you can no longer do what I'm describing. I've followed the process above, to no avail : at least, when I say 'to no avail' ...

As far as I can tell, checking and unchecking the 'use drop shadow' box does indeed seem to make a difference, in that when I uncheck it, the text beneath the icon becomes invisible against the mostly-black background of my desktop picture. I'm not sure what to make of that, except that the difference it seems to be making isn't the difference I'd want or expect - i.e. it doesn't achieve the effect described above. The wierd thing is that it seems like there must be a way, because the option to select a desktop colour does still exist within the display properties menus, along with things like icon spacing ( which I've tried and which DOES work for me ). However, when I DO select the colour I want ( green in this case ) it makes no difference, with or without the 'use drop shadow' box being checked.

As a matter of interest, I've tried the same procedure with various themes and background pictures including the ones that are given as options when you click on the 'personalise' option after right-clicking on the desktop. None of this has made any difference.
It's a little thing, I know, but like I say, it seems to me that there IS a way if you can find it ( otherwise why include 'desktop colour' as an option in the display properties? ). If anyone can enlighten me I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Desktop Icon.jpg
    Desktop Icon.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 408
Hi Sparks,
unfortunately I don't think you can do this under win 7 unless some kind of third party app is employed..

I can't deny that there certainly doesn't seem to be any way of doing it, and I'd believe that that was the case if the option didn't seem to exist in the 'display properties' menus ...

Back
Top Bottom