Windows 10 Computer Can't Run any Boot Devices

emcgrady

My computer was running Windows 10. Here are my specs:

2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
1 x WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD
1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6286-KR, 8GB GDDR5X
1 x Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
1 x ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
1 x PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire Intel Haswell Ready Power Supply

I was using the PC to listen to Spotify when it froze. I did a hard restart and I got the message 'Stop code: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME'

Looking up this issue, it seems that some file got corrupted and the solution is to reinstall Windows. I still have my original instalation disc. When I put it in my Apple Superdrive and plug it in, it returns 'Reboot and Select a proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'. I then create a bootable drive to try that way using the image found here. I first try with Boot Camp Assist but I get the same issue. I then use this series of commands in the terminal in order to create another boot drive after formatting the drive as FAT through Disk Utility.

Bash:
diskutil list
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
sudo dd if=/Users/Eddie/Downloads/Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
diskutil eject /dev/disk2

This is the lines used with all returned text.

Bash:
(base) Eddies-MacBook-Pro:~ Eddie$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         500.1 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +500.1 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            431.2 GB   disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 46.7 MB    disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                510.4 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      1.1 GB     disk1s4
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *15.5 GB    disk2
   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 WININSTALL              15.5 GB    disk2s1
/dev/disk4 (disk image):
   0:                            CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US... +5.4 GB     disk4
/dev/disk5 (disk image):
   0:                            Boot Camp              +2.8 GB     disk5
(base) Eddies-MacBook-Pro:~ Eddie$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful
(base) Eddies-MacBook-Pro:~ Eddie$ sudo dd if=/Users/Eddie/Downloads/Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
Password:
5138+1 records in
5138+1 records out
5388175360 bytes transferred in 3100.214460 secs (1738001 bytes/sec)
(base) Eddies-MacBook-Pro:~ Eddie$ diskutil eject /dev/disk2 
Disk /dev/disk2 ejected

Each time I've done a manual select of whatever boot media I want to try. I'm not sure what else could be wrong here. My BIOS always sees the boot devices correctly but every time I try to use it, I get the same error message. Is there a better way to make boot media? Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

For a flash drive all you need to do is set the active flag on the fat or ntfs partiton and copy the content of the ISO to the flash drive

For a flash drive all you need to do is set the active flag on the fat or ntfs partiton and copy the content of the ISO to the flash drive

Is there a way to do that in the terminal? I don't have another Windows device to get this one running again so I'm stuck to whatever can be done on a Mac. I tried doing the copy directly but it seems that I can't copy over files larger than 4GB on a FAT32 drive. I now formatted a 128GB flash drive as ExFAT and copied the files over directly. When I run this, I just get a flashing cursor. Is it because I haven't flagged the partition? If so, how would I flag it? I tried seeing if I could find out how to do that online and I couldn't find anything.

I don't use MAC so couldn't tell you. In Linux you can do it with parted with the command set 1 boot on

Neither of those worked. Could it be a hardware issue? Could my motherboard not be able to read boot devices anymore? It sees all of the devices I'm trying to use but it never actually loads them.

Back
Top Bottom