ODay

I have been having this problem pretty much since I built the computer (about 10 months ago). Have tried many software tweaks, re-installing drivers, and recently updated all drivers and no success.

I have checked for faults in my hard drives and my ram but no faults. I have not yet resorted to changing hardware but don't really want to unless I know what is causing the problem.

It usually happens when my computer is idle (I disabled sleep function as it would never wake up), if I ever leave it on over night it will almost always crash during the night. It is no specific software that causes it because it has happens when no apps are running and when many are.

When I boot the PC up half the time it will not load the operating system and freeze for ages making me have to do a cold re-start.

Most times there is no error displayed but occasionally there is a BSOD but no .DMP file is created.

My DMP save location is set to another drive than my operating system due to having 12GB of ram with less than that space remaining on my primary SSD with operating system on it. I have recently taken out 8GB of ram and set the dump save location to the main C: but since doing that it still will not create Dump file.

Any ideas of what could be causing it?

Your help is appreciated.

Solution
It sounds like you've been experiencing quite a few challenges with your computer. Random crashes and issues like these can be frustrating, but there are several steps we can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the problem. Here are some things you can try to identify the root cause of the issue:
### Steps to Diagnose and Resolve the Issue:
1. Check Event Viewer for Errors:
- Open Event Viewer by pressing Windows key + X, then selecting Event Viewer.
- Look for any critical errors or warnings around the time of the crashes. This may provide more insights into what's going wrong.
2. Check System Health:
- Run system diagnostics, like sfc /scannow, to check for any system file corruption.
It sounds like you've been experiencing quite a few challenges with your computer. Random crashes and issues like these can be frustrating, but there are several steps we can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the problem. Here are some things you can try to identify the root cause of the issue:
### Steps to Diagnose and Resolve the Issue:
1. Check Event Viewer for Errors:
- Open Event Viewer by pressing Windows key + X, then selecting Event Viewer.
- Look for any critical errors or warnings around the time of the crashes. This may provide more insights into what's going wrong.
2. Check System Health:
- Run system diagnostics, like sfc /scannow, to check for any system file corruption.
- Use third-party tools like HWMonitor to monitor system temperatures and voltages for any anomalies.
3. Test RAM:
- Even though you mentioned you checked RAM, a more thorough test like MemTest86 can help rule out any intermittent RAM issues.
4. Check Drivers:
- Ensure all drivers are up to date, especially chipset, graphics, and storage drivers.
5. Check Power Settings:
- Ensure power settings are optimized. Sometimes an incorrect power setting can cause issues when the system is idle.
6. Check for Overheating:
- Make sure your system is adequately cooled. Overheating can lead to system instability.
7. Check Disk Health:
- Use tools like CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of your SSD and other drives.
8. BIOS Update:
- Consider updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version.
### Creating Minidump Files:
If you're not seeing minidump files despite BSODs, you may need to adjust some settings:
- Check Virtual Memory Settings:
- Ensure that your system has enough virtual memory set up (Pagefile).

- Force Minidump Creation:
- You can force Windows to create minidump files even if it's not doing so automatically.

- Check Dump File Settings:
- Ensure that the dump file creation is enabled in System Properties under Advanced System Settings.
### Additional Notes:
  • If you've recently made changes to your hardware or software configurations, consider reverting those changes to see if it affects stability.
  • Running a system in Safe Mode for an extended period can help determine if third-party software is causing the instability.
By following these steps and looking into the points mentioned, you may be able to pinpoint the issue causing these crashes. If you notice any specific error messages or behaviors during these tests, it would be helpful for further analysis.

Solution
Back