Windows 7 Computer just cuts out ?

TAFFY653

my new computer build is been plagued with problems first hard drive now i dont know
it loads up fine then after about 10 mins just cuts off ive watched the cpu temp and it stays at 40c which aint that hot the cut off make the screen flicker then boom no power
any ideas?

When new builds have problems, I always recommend pulling the motherboard to make sure there are no extra standoffs underneath. Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards. The ATX Form Factor standard only says where motherboard mounting holes can be, not where they will be. Therefore it is common for cases to have several more mounting holes than the motherboard and a common mistake (among new builders and experienced too) is to put an extra standoff or two in the case, which then shorts out the board when it is powered up. The typical symptom is immediate problems and not 10 minutes after boot, but as matter heats up, it expands and so this delay during the expansion period may explain the delay of the symptoms.

Do make sure you have connected all the necessary power connections and that they are tight. Most motherboards take at least two. Many graphics cards require additional connections.

You may have bad or incompatible RAM. Try running with just one stick at a time.

Is your PSU adequate for the demands? What are your hardware specs?

What do you mean by "boom"?

When new builds have problems, I always recommend pulling the motherboard to make sure there are no extra standoffs underneath. Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards. The ATX Form Factor standard only says where motherboard mounting holes can be, not where they will be. Therefore it is common for cases to have several more mounting holes than the motherboard and a common mistake (among new builders and experienced too) is to put an extra standoff or two in the case, which then shorts out the board when it is powered up. The typical symptom is immediate problems and not 10 minutes after boot, but as matter heats up, it expands and so this delay during the expansion period may explain the delay of the symptoms.

Do make sure you have connected all the necessary power connections and that they are tight. Most motherboards take at least two. Many graphics cards require additional connections.

You may have bad or incompatible RAM. Try running with just one stick at a time.

Is your PSU adequate for the demands? What are your hardware specs?

What do you mean by "boom"?

i have checked for any standoffs seems to be just the ones that attach to the motherboard.
the motherboard takes 2 power areas and they are both plugged in and they seem to be fine ive also checked with another psu and it still cuts out.
when the computer is running it seems to pick up the ram shown in the settings so they seem to be working too.

my specs are
Nzxt phantom case
gigabyte h55m-ud2h motherboard
4 gb ddr3 ram
corsair 430wat builder psu
1TB Samsung hard drive

the boom is just a term for the sudden loss of power but the computer seems to restart on its own too ive checked the button and seems to be fine and the power button and they are both ok

i have checked for any standoffs seems to be just the ones that attach to the motherboard.
Ummm, not sure if I am confused or you are. Standoffs don't attach to the motherboard. The are the brass piece that screws into the case and the motherboard is then screwed into the standoff.

stnd.gif

Checking with a 2nd PSU rules that out. Even though all 4Gb of RAM is seen, I would still try one stick at time.

Last edited:
Ummm, not sure if I am confused or you are. Standoffs don't attach to the motherboard. The are the brass piece that screws into the case and the motherboard is then screwed into the standoff.

stnd.gif

Checking with a 2nd PSU rules that out. Even though all 4Gb of RAM is seen, I would still try one stick at time.

ino they connect to the case but my motherboard only has 7 holes for fixing and there are only 7 connected to the case.
well my mates seem to think a broken motherboard but i dont wanna fork out on another one
right just trying now with 1 stick of ram

It could be the motherboard and while Gigabyte is my preferred brand and tend to be very reliable, you could have a bad one. Is your RAM on the recommended RAM list for that board?

It could be the motherboard and while Gigabyte is my preferred brand and tend to be very reliable, you could have a bad one. Is your RAM on the recommended RAM list for that board?

i just used generic ram i think its kingston

Kingston is a brand name. Note it is not absolutely necessary to buy off the Link Removed - Invalid URL because there are just too many brands and models in the world for Gigabyte to test and certify each one for each of their motherboards. But buying off the list helps ensure you get the right stuff. You should at least ensure you buy sticks with the same specifications as those on the list.

Kingston is a brand name. Note it is not absolutely necessary to buy off the Link Removed - Invalid URL because there are just too many brands and models in the world for Gigabyte to test and certify each one for each of their motherboards. But buying off the list helps ensure you get the right stuff. You should at least ensure you buy sticks with the same specifications as those on the list.

just had a peek and my ram are on the list
yeh im just checking now about the warranty see if i can get a new one soon :D

Back
Top Bottom