Windows 10 Power computer going into idle mode

trstick1

I have Windows 10 Pro running on a old Lenovo Thickcentre M58 desktop computer. when the computer is idle for 1 min 30 secs to 2 minutes, it goes into sleep mode even through it is set up for maximum performance power plan. I checked the BIOS and just the hard drive timeout is disabled. My power plan is set to never sleep. I looked at the event viewer and it is a kernel type thing making the computer to go into sleep mode. If the mouse has not moved and no keyboard press for 1.5 to 2 mins then goes to sleep mode. What kernel is causing this? I have the monitor, hard drive set to never sleep. It is not the monitor causing this.
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_5.png
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_3.png

One thing that comes to mind is that your Lenovo is an older computer, yet still modern-era as it was made in 2009. However, 8 years is a long time, especially if it has the original BIOS in it built for W7. There are many issues with things like sleep mode, hibernate, and suspend that require BIOS updates to make that 8 year old hardware more compatible with a new OS such as W10 (July 29, 2015). Interestingly enough, visiting the Lenovo support site and popping in your model, there is a very recent BIOS update dated 6-03-2015 as here:
Flash BIOS update - ThinkCentre M58, M58p 5CKT77A 2015-06-03 2.06MB

Here's the link to the page: desktops and all in ones :: thinkcentre m series desktops :: thinkcentre m58 Lenovo PC Support

I would backup EVERYTHING on your hard drive to external media (2 types) if you haven't already done so. You should do a folder/file backup with something like AOEMI BACKUPPER, or W10 FILE EXPLORER, as if you've never done a BIOS upgrade yourself, you should know it's EXTREMELY HIGH RISK!! If you do this and it fails, it's very likely to brick your Motherboard, and that's a repair that could cost from $400-$1,500.:waah:

You could spend weeks, months, or years trying to track down a problem that's hardware based, and no settings you could come up with will ever fix that problem on 8 year old HW with W10.

If you're leary of doing the BIOS upgrade yourself, best to pay a licensed Tech to do for you, and simply try the computer again after the upgrade and if it fixes the problem, then you are good to go! :up:

Let us know how you get on.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :zzz:

Last edited:
I am a pc builder long time. I replaced the dual core with a quad core Q6600 processor, upgraded memory to 8 GB, replaced the video card with the Asus GeForce 750Ti and replaced the power supply with a Thermaltake 430 watt. I already updated the BIOS to 5CKT77A running Windows 10 Pro version 1607 Build 14393.953 Computer runs fine. OS is stable. I have no screen saver running. I do put my computer into sleep mode when I am not using it. After waking from sleep mode, computer runs fine. Video card drivers and bios updated to current version. (Forceware 378.92)
I checked the HP Pavilion 23bw monitor and monitor power saver is set to off. Approx 2 minutes of idle, the monitor goes to sleep then the motherboard goes into sleep mode. Still searching for the kernel causing this issue. No issues playing the new games at 1080p.

After my recent post, I went back to my maximum performance Lenovo power plan and noticed that wireless adapter settings, power saving mode was set to maximum power savings and I changed it to maximum performance. Had the computer idle for 5 minutes, did not go into sleep mode. It was the wireless adapter kernel power causing the issue.
Screenshot_1.png

A good way to determine what is causing a power behavior is to dump your current power configuration and examine the settings.
From an elevated command prompt type powercfg /Q

Back