Windows 7 Computer restored to factory settings yet CD drive on the computer

Redharc

Okay I'm fixing my sisters computer, It froze on her, when she tried to start it up again it went into some sort of system repair mode and after about 20hrs of this (no joke) it gave me the option to restore the computer to factory settings, it also gave me the option to install some sort of backup on the hard drive, however i tried this and it said there was no room on the hard drive (if i didn't know any better I'd say the problem was with the hard drive) i went ahead with the system recovery as it seemed to be the only way to fix the computer (i know i sound like an oaf) now the computer is showing me a screen which states that i need to insert my windows installation disc, however the laptop has no disc drive! is there anyway to get around this?

Additional information
HP Pavilion dm1-4004sa
AMD Dual-Core E-450 processor
4GB memory
320GB Hard Drive
I don't know if this will help but i may as well include it

she has only had the laptop since Christmas and i plan on taking it back to PC World soon to see about getting it fixed there but if there is anyway that people here could help me it would be much appreciated.

Hi

Did you do it the way that is described below?

Mike

Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessible

If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition.

The Recovery Manager can be launched during the startup process by following the steps below.
  1. Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.
    note.png
    NOTE:Pressing the F11 key during startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.​
    • If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
    • If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
    • If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.
  2. When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the Link Removed - Invalid URL shown above.

Last edited:
Yes, although i didn't access recovery manager myself rather the computer went to it automatically after a lengthy system repair.

Hi

I'm afraid I don't have any idea why it would ask for the Windows disk when done that way.
The whole point is that you don't need the disk.

Have you tried rebooting and going into safe mode to see if it will boot that way?

Mike

Back