Windows 7 Computers don't work

lostsoul65

I have a computer that did work so I change the CPU and video card and now it don’t work. The CPU is compatible with the motherboard, I check and the Video card works on another computer so does everything else. So everything works and has been tested except the new AMD 965 CPU. I can’t get any video so can a bad CPU not even give you video and how likely it to get a bad CPU?

Last edited:
First thing I would check is to make sure that the CPU is set correctly.....arrows are alining and is seated firmly. Then make sure the heat sink and fan are positioned and seated correctly.

Yes...it could be a bad CPU...which is what it sounds like. Did you order this CPU or was it given to you? Did you use a anti-static wrist band when installing the CPU? If you ordered it you can RMA it and get a new one.

Everything worked until I put in the new CPU shouldn't I be able to disconnect everything except for the RAM and Video card and have something come up on the monitor? Right now I have no video
Also to make a long story short I think I'm going to go down to Fry's Electronic and buy a good motherboard and drop the AMD 965 in and see what happens.

Last edited:
As long as the mobo has onboard graphics but you need at least 1 gb RAM installed otherwise it wont boot...you should see some life from the system. Do you get the post beep? Is the PSU light on?

What make and model mobo do you have? Does the mobo have onboard graphics? Did you use a anti-static wrist band when installing the hardware to prevent static shock which can be deadly to hardware.

As long as the mobo has onboard graphics but you need at least 1 gb RAM installed otherwise it wont boot...you should see some life from the system. Do you get the post beep? Is the PSU light on?

What make and model mobo do you have? Does the mobo have onboard graphics? Did you use a anti-static wrist band when installing the hardware to prevent static shock which can be deadly to hardware.

I was a MIS manager in Silicon Valley so I did everything right but I'm also retired. I've built around 1000 computer but I'm getting old and stupid. I have this super cheap mobo and I guess it just won't support the AMD 965 without upgrading the BOIS which I can't do and to make matters worse I sent in the rebate so I can't take it back. Sometime I think the older I am the dumber I become. So tomorrow I'm just going to get a good motherboard and go from there. But you did tell me something I didn't do and I tried the onboard video and I have lots of RAM and nothing. Now all I need to do is figure out the mobo to buy and store the cheap mobo because I think it is still good. Thanks

This CPU you have...is it the AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4 Ghz by chance? That's a nice CPU...very good choice...when they first came out they were in that $200 plus range. Now they are half that...still a great CPU and price.

I know what you mean about getting older..I get up from my LazyBoy to go do something, take 5 steps and forget what the hell I was going to do/get....have to retrace my steps or go back and sit down...the wife and kids just laugh at me.

I'll see if I can find some suggestions for you...is there a particular brand you like. I'm partial to ASUS but Gigabyte and MSI are top of the line brands.

So tomorrow I'm just going to get a good motherboard and go from there.
An upgraded CPU and especially a more powerful graphics solution are likely to demand more power. Did you ensure the PSU is able to support this upgraded hardware? Also note graphics cards often require additional power connections directly from the PSU.

So before buying any more parts, especially a whole new motherboard (and if not the EXACT SAME brand and model number, WILL require a new Windows license - if the current license is OEM - which it likely is) I would ensure the PSU is big enough to support the increased demands, and that it is working properly.

I can’t get any video so can a bad CPU not even give you video and how likely it to get a bad CPU?
Sure! What information can a graphics card display if board it is installed on does not work because the CPU is not working? The computer will not make it past the very first stages of POST if no CPU is detected.

It is very rare to have a bad CPU out of the box. By far, most new CPUs that don't work are due to user mishandling resulting in ESD damage of the CPU. Did you ensure properly ESD control? Did you ensure a proper layer of TIM (thermal interface material)?

Does it work with the old CPU?

If so maybe you can get it up far enough to update the BIOS if one is available tha will solve your problem.

Back
Top Bottom