Windows 7 Configure TCP/IP to use DHCP and a Static IP Address at the Same Time

michelv

hi,

I have a machine that connects to a laptop in my Organization. my broblem is that every time i nee to configur static ip.
i need to know if there is any way to Configure TCP/IP to use DHCP and a Static IP Address at the Same Time???

thank you,

michel vaillancourt.

You cannot configure both for use at the same time - they are mutually exclusive options. But you can configure tcp/ip to use one or the other then select advanced options under the properties to define an alternative - which may be either. It will then seek to implement the main option but use the alternative if the first cannot be actioned.

michelv;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
The short answer is no, not simultaneously on the same adapter. If static values are configured for the adapter then it will not solicit DHCP; however you can configure the IPv4 properties to fail-over to a static value in the event that you have the adapter configured to use DHCP and there is no DHCP server available by using the "Alternate Configuration" tab under IPv4 properties for that adapter.
Unfortunately this built in fail-over mechanism will not work either as long as Windows 7 continues to default to APIPA resolution and you will need to edit the registry to prevent this from happening. Link Removed - Invalid URL
Perhaps adding a second adapter to your computer configured with the static values you need might be a better solution.
Regards
Randy
EDIT: Sorry Pat, I was a bit too slow.

Back
Top Bottom