Windows 7 Connecting Windows 7 Ultimate to XP network

Woodworker

I am trying to add my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit computer to an existing network that has XP computers. I have the workgroup of all computers set the same. I have network discovery on, file and printer sharing, 128 bit encription set, password protection off and use user accts and passwords set. I tried both home and work networks. Currently set for work.

What else am I missing? It is not connecting to the network.

In addition to Captain Jack's articles, you may want to expain what the nature of the problem is.
Can you ping from and to the Win7 machines and the XP machines by both IP address and by computer names. That's the first step in determining if there is a software product in place that's preventing communications.
Additionally tell us if you are getting any type of error messages, like access denied or other errors indicating that the machine(s) are not available on the network.
Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of your network adapter (IPv4 properties, advanced button, WINS tab) also check the services console (services.msc) and make sure that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service is started and set to automatic.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

You're welcome and thank you for posting back with a follow-up. Glad you've got it sorted out and we hope to continue to see you around the forums.

Back