Windows 7 Content.IE5 location quirk

JackInTulsiTown

We have started testing Windows 7. We have discovered a quirk in the storage of temporary internet files that may have some security concerns.
The official literature of Windows 7 says the storage point for the Content.IE5 folder has been relocated to:
C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

However it also shows up in two other locations (that I have found so far):
1)
C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\
2)
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

We have tested and confirmed this. On the surface, this may seem insignificant, but what really caught my attention was that none of the literature expected files in C:\Documents and Settings because it was not supposed to exist anymore or rather it is supposed to be just a pointer, yet it does exist. So, if your security software is not looking in this location it may be a potential hole. I was not able to navigate to the C:\Documents and settings, but typing in the full path in the explorer bar led me directly to it, and I was able to find duplicated content from the 'correct' folders. I know it is supposed to be a pointer, however the address bar clearly indicated two different folders, it wasn't as if it was a mirror. As an extra check, I will try to delete a file from one folder and not the other and see if the change follows.

This is the site that describes the \Low directory, but I did not find any information on the old Docs and Settings folder.

Windows 7 x64: CSIDL_INTERNET_CACHE points to location that is not expected

Back