Windows 7 Contents of C/windows switched with contents of c/program files

Shawn N

Not 100% on how this happened. The last thing I did was change my c/windows/system32/drivers/etc host file(I know, I probably shouldn't have done that) and then rebooted my computer. After reboot I got a few system errors, than ran a hdd defragmenter (system recommended). Now my computer is jacked. I can't access any of the contents that are in c/windows or c/program files because the "location is unavailable".

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

T.I.A.
Shawn

The last thing I did was change my c/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file
[...]
I can't access any of the contents that are in c/windows or c/program files because the "location is unavailable".

One thing I can tell you right now is these two are not related. The /etc/hosts file (in all OSes) is an OS dictionary of what hostname goes to what IP. So, in that file you could (theoretically) set "larry.org", "somesubdomain.google.com" or even just "Steve" to some IP on the net (or in your LAN). It has nothing to do with what goes where in your HD.

As for your "Location is Unavailable" error, it could be because you're typing it into the address bar wrong. It's "C:\Windows", not "C/Windows" (though Windows treats / and \ the same, the : is not optional)

Back
Top Bottom