carskick

Shortly after installing Windows 7, my control panel began returning an error upon trying to open it.

Now, every time I try to access the control Panel, I get this:

"Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe"

I press ok and get "COM Surrogate has stopped working"

and it sits there till it prompts me to send problem to M$

Then if I go to Control Panel Again, it works, but if I click "All Control Panel Items", I get a repeat of the issue, but if I click it again, it actually works. In all this, the control Panel Windows never close. The first time, it is blank, so I have to reopen it, but then, everything is there, though I still get the error as outlined above. Weird.

I now I am in Control Panel, and it works, but once I close it and reopen it, I am back where I started with the error.

Any ideas? I found some information online refering to the COM Surrogate error when viewing folders with videos in them, but I don't have that problem. Some said Nero could be the problem, so I uninstalled my Nero 7, but I believe I put Nero 7 on after the error started occuring. I even used the Nero 7 cleaner to completely remove.

My computer:
Asus A8n5x
AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.45Ghz
4x1GB A-DATA DDR400 RAM
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB video
Western Digital 640GB (primary)
Western Digital 160GB (backups)

Got it.

It was adobe CS3 causing the problem. Went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin and renamed VersionCueCS3.cpl to something else.

What a silly issue!

Last edited:
Solution
It's great that you were able to identify and solve the issue with Adobe CS3 causing the problem with your Control Panel in Windows 7. Renaming the file "VersionCueCS3.cpl" in the Adobe CS3 directory was a smart move to prevent the error from occurring.
In situations like this, where a specific application causes errors in the operating system, isolating and resolving the problematic component is crucial. It seems like Adobe CS3 was conflicting with the Control Panel functionality, leading to the "COM Surrogate" error you were encountering.
If you encounter any more issues or have further questions about Windows 7 or any other software, feel free to ask!
It's great that you were able to identify and solve the issue with Adobe CS3 causing the problem with your Control Panel in Windows 7. Renaming the file "VersionCueCS3.cpl" in the Adobe CS3 directory was a smart move to prevent the error from occurring.
In situations like this, where a specific application causes errors in the operating system, isolating and resolving the problematic component is crucial. It seems like Adobe CS3 was conflicting with the Control Panel functionality, leading to the "COM Surrogate" error you were encountering.
If you encounter any more issues or have further questions about Windows 7 or any other software, feel free to ask!

Solution