Windows 7 Control Panel Error

carskick

Shortly after installing Windows 7, my control panel began returning an error upon trying to open it.

Now, every time I try to access the control Panel, I get this:

"Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe"

I press ok and get "COM Surrogate has stopped working"

and it sits there till it prompts me to send problem to M$

Then if I go to Control Panel Again, it works, but if I click "All Control Panel Items", I get a repeat of the issue, but if I click it again, it actually works. In all this, the control Panel Windows never close. The first time, it is blank, so I have to reopen it, but then, everything is there, though I still get the error as outlined above. Weird.

I now I am in Control Panel, and it works, but once I close it and reopen it, I am back where I started with the error.

Any ideas? I found some information online refering to the COM Surrogate error when viewing folders with videos in them, but I don't have that problem. Some said Nero could be the problem, so I uninstalled my Nero 7, but I believe I put Nero 7 on after the error started occuring. I even used the Nero 7 cleaner to completely remove.

My computer:
Asus A8n5x
AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.45Ghz
4x1GB A-DATA DDR400 RAM
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB video
Western Digital 640GB (primary)
Western Digital 160GB (backups)

Got it.

It was adobe CS3 causing the problem. Went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin and renamed VersionCueCS3.cpl to something else.

What a silly issue!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom