Windows 7 Convert to .dvr-ms format missing in Windows 7

freycl

I have 3 HP Media Center computers that are all networked. One XP desktop, one Win 7 Home Premium laptop that was upgraded from Vista, and one brand new laptop with Win 7 factory installed. I use them often to record TV shows and want to be able to use each computer to watch shows recorded on the other computers.

XP recorded tv files are .dvr-ms format. Win 7 recorded tv files are .wtv format. In order to watch the .wtv shows on the XP, they must be converted to .dvr-ms. In Win 7 windows explorer, when you right click on a .wtv recorded tv show, you see an option to "convert to .dvr-ms format". I see this on my Win 7 laptop that was upgraded from Vista but it does not appear on my laptop that came with Win 7 preinstalled. How can I get the "convert to .dvr-ms format" option on my new laptop with Win 7 Home Prem factory installed?

After several days of research, I found my own answer on the internet. The .wtv file type must be associated with Media Center for the "Convert to dvr-ms format" context menu item to appear when you right click on a .wtv file. Start - default programs - associate a file type or protocol with a program - highlight .wtv and click change program - click Windows Media Center - click OK. It works!!!

Back