Windows 7 Copy Paste Issue

indialive

When I copy lets say 13 files from my hard disk to a pen drive, copy paste happens. While the process is on, it shows 14 files being copied, i.e. 1 file extra. Whe I look into the destination copy folder, I find only 13 files. And when I delete that folder, it mentions 14 files being deleted. Which is this one extra file

In many folders, there is a desktop.ini file that is a hidden system file. Could it be that? You might need to set Folder View options to see System files.

In many folders, there is a desktop.ini file that is a hidden system file. Could it be that? You might need to set Folder View options to see System files.

I have set in Floder View Option to unhide system files. Despite other system files being visible and accounted for, while copying, windows 7 displays 1 extra number of files being copied. And when I go to the destination folder, I dont see any extra files. Then when I try deleting the entire folder, again Windows message displays x+1 number of files being deleted. Which is this mystery 1 extra file

It is not under "system" files. Select "Show hidden files" and you should be able to see the extra file.

This thing with "extra files" can be a bit confusing. I deleted some from a secondary disk, and I lost the whole contents of the disk. I still don't know what happened, but the damage was surely done. :redface:

I think mine does the same thing..the only place the extra file is showing is in the transfer dialog. Maybe it is part of the transfer process.

Instead of using Ctrl-A (Select all), try to Ctrl-Click the first file in the folder and then Shft-Click the last file (selective select) and then copy\paste. This should copy\paste only the 13 file you selected. If that doesn't work, (maybe the hidden\system file is in between the files), try to Ctrl-Click each file - only the 13 files - and see what happens.

Back