Windows 7 Core 2 Quad On Dell Optiplex 755

Inception

Wasn't sure if this is really the forum to be asking this on (As this forum is really geared towards Windows in general) but I thought "What the hell." since there are so many knowledgeable and friendly people here. Anyhow, I am interested in upgrading from my Core 2 Duo E6550 to a Core 2 Quad. I've got a 305W power supply. What I'm really concerned about is pairing it with the other things I have, I don't want to put too much of a stress on my PSU or cause damage to my computer of course. I've got a MSI Radeon HD 6450 graphics card and albeit it only consumes 27W at max, it's a bit of a concern pairing it with something like a Core 2 Quad simply because of the higher power consumption on the processor, simply because on the graphics cards "Recommended Requirements" a 400W power supply is listed... I've run this card with no problems, but this post isn't about that card. So the questions are: Can you recommend me any specific model of the Core 2 Quad (As I know some of them require alot more power than others)? Should I even go with this upgrade and would it be worth it at all?
(EDIT)
Before you say "Get something better like an i3" this motherboard does NOT support anything above the Core 2 Quad.

If you know the motherboard model and the CPUs it supports, you can look up their power requirements here.

But frankly, I would not bother because a new CPU is a big investment that is highly unlikely you can carry over to a new computer when that time comes.

How much RAM does this system have? Typically, in terms of performance you get much more bang for your money by upgrading the RAM (depending on how much RAM at the start). And adding RAM rarely puts a significant increase in demands on the PSU that would require a new PSU.

If you know the motherboard model and the CPUs it supports, you can look up their power requirements here.

But frankly, I would not bother because a new CPU is a big investment that is highly unlikely you can carry over to a new computer when that time comes.

How much RAM does this system have? Typically, in terms of performance you get much more bang for your money by upgrading the RAM (depending on how much RAM at the start). And adding RAM rarely puts a significant increase in demands on the PSU that would require a new PSU.
Maxed out at 8GB DDR2. ;P So I shouldn't upgrade then?

What is this computer used for?

The fact you say DDR2 already says this computer is pretty old, since DDR3 has been in use since 2007. If me, I would just save your money, build up your budget until you can get a new computer.

What is this computer used for?

The fact you say DDR2 already says this computer is pretty old, since DDR3 has been in use since 2007. If me, I would just save your money, build up your budget until you can get a new computer.
This is my main build, web browsing, occasional light gaming (Older games), HD movies and videos. Bout it. Oh ya. And pretty much everything else anyone would do with a main build. Lmao

Last edited:
My advice remains the same. I would not spend that much money on a computer that old.

I found a document here:

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_755_techspecs.pdf

that seems to relate to exactly what you are asking about. It seems your C2D E6550 should be replaceable with either a C2Q Q6600 or Q6700 as well as either C2D E6750 or E6850. The Quads should require more power as they pull 130W vs 65 for the C2D. The PSU in your system is light in my opinion. I would go with the E6850 @ 3.0 GHz as a speed upgrade versus either Quad due to the power requirements. Good luck.

Back