Windows 7 Corrupt files and drivers. What to do?

Eric Robert

Please help. My computer keeps crashing and has memory dumps everyonce in awhile. It says the files and/or drivers are corrupt.

What do I do? I have been trying to figure this out for hours. Thanks
-Eric

Yes, as Joe says. Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files there to any other folder. Then rar or zip the files and attach the compressed file to a post using the paperclip above where you type (in advanced mode reply.)

oh no my computer is getting worse. I get pop up after pop notifying problems and more frequent crashes.

What does this mean,"The instrunction at 0xfb7df601 referenced memory at 0x000000e0. The memory could not be written."

Alright. Some good news here. I can definitely without doubt tell you, because of memory management errors and the code I'll post in a second here, that your Symantec antivirus is causing you issues. You have to remove it using the special tool found at the link after the code and then install MSE as a very stable solution.

Code:
BugCheck 50, {ffffe28007c802e8, 0, fffff80002cb3414, 7}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NISx64\1106000.020\SYMEFA64.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMEFA64.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMEFA64.SYS

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

The somewhat not-so-good news is that you're also getting hard drive errors. There is a very decent chance of fixing this too though. So here is how...

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, fffff880037b6828, fffff880037b6090, fffff80002db10f3}

Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsCommonClose+43a )

Followup: MachineOwner

Open an elevated command prompt and run this command for each hard drive partition on the system. Change the letter C to match for each, during each run. If you only have one partition, then just run the command for C...

Code:
chkdsk /r C:

When you're done with this, I recommend updating your Alps Touch Pad driver to the latest available since this driver is from before Windows 7 RTM and could be a contributer to problems...

Code:
Apfiltr  Apfiltr.sys  Tue May 12 05:38:59 2009

The same goes for your network driver:

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Fri May 22 10:52:30 2009

You can update that from this link here. Look in the device manager for the exact type of Realtek lan you have under network section, then search for it and install from this link:

Realtek

Your video card driver is a little older and can be updated. If this is a laptop, check with your manufacturer's website for an updated driver:

Code:
atikmdag atikmdag.sys Thu Jul 02 13:45:07 2009

If it's not a laptop, you can get the latest ATI/AMD driver from here:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

There are a few older Intel drivers on the system. So you'd do well to let Intel's website Driver Update Utility scan for you to locate the latest drivers to install:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

There are a few other things to look at but I picked what I think is the most important for now. Follow the advice in this post, then let us know how it's going and/or post a new crash dump if necessary. We'll get the machine working well. :)

Thanks for all your help. Okay, so I guess the chkdsk worked upon restarting (not positive, but here is what it said and I hit Y). This is what it says,"The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

Also what the MSE you told me to install and where do I get it?

In device manager it says that I have "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller". I don't see that exact one on Realtek's site that you showed me. Showed I install the zip file "Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only" since I have windows 7 then?

Thanks for all your help, I haven't had a crash yet. Only a browser crash so far.
-Eric

You're welcome.

Thanks for all your help. Okay, so I guess the chkdsk worked upon restarting (not positive, but here is what it said and I hit Y). This is what it says,"The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

Yes, Y is what was needed. Upon the next reboot after, the scan and repair occurred as you state.

Also what the MSE you told me to install and where do I get it?

It is Microsoft Security Essentials, which is a very efficient and reliable antivirus solution from Microsoft.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

In device manager it says that I have "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller". I don't see that exact one on Realtek's site that you showed me. Showed I install the zip file "Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only" since I have windows 7 then?

For this instead then, you can go to your motherboard manufacturer's website to obtain the latest Realtek lan driver. If you aren't sure which board you have, CPU-Z free software can tell you.

Continued good luck and success.

So I can't run Norton anymore? I still got about 200 days on it.

Also, as you can probably tell, Im not computer savvy. I used the CPU-Z and under the Mainboard tab is says:

Manufacturer: Compal
Model: 3642 40.18
Chipset: AMD 785GX
SOuthbridge: AMD ID439D

BIOS
Brand: HP
Version: F.04

What company am I supposed to look for? Not sure which is the motherboard still. Sorry for all the dumb questions.

So I can't run Norton anymore? I still got about 200 days on it.

I kinda had to chuckle when I read this. It is like someone was taking poison that someone was giving them. They went to the Doctor and the Doctor said, "This stuff that you are taking is poison, here is some free antidote that will cure the damage already done by the poison and prevent further damage." Would one say to the Doctor, "But Doctor, I have two hundred more doses of poison left!"?

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus from Microsoft. In spite of being a free program, it is receiving excellent reviews from professional testers, IT field professionals and home users as well. TorrentG gave you the direct Microsoft link to the program. It can also be downloaded from most download centers (Download.com, Softpedia, File Hippo, Tucows, etc.) , or you can use your favorite search engine to search for "Microsoft Security Essentials". Lots of people use Norton and like it and have no issues with it, others have experiences more like yours. I know of no one who has experiences similar to your Norton experiences with MSE.

yeah, I didn't realize it was free until a bit ago. I downloaded it and was having the same problems as Norton was. It will fail scanning a quarter of the way in and can't download updates. I haven't seen it do the memory dump yet, so it must be better.

But the weird thing is I have been using Norton for about half a year when I bought the computer. I just didn't think it was the primary problem. I don't want to blame another website, but I started having all these problems after I downloaded a free trial from a website called 123ppt.com .

Okay, Im losing all hope and actually pulling my hair out now. I get one damn error after the other. Saying Im a victim of windows counterfeit and pop up after popup of problems. Back to the file dumping too. Damn I just got this computer 4 months ago.

Have your removed Norton with the special tool and also followed the other advice?

You can post a new crash dump if you'd like.

Afterwards, there's a few simple commands to throw at Windows to make it Genuine again, if you have a proper key.

Yes I have been doing everything. This is the page for my software and driver downloads are: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I have downloaded everything in Driver-Audio, Driver-Graphics, Driver-Network, BIOS, and the ALPS Touchpad Driver. I also did the Intel® Driver Update Utility.

Any idea how to get my Windows back to genuine? Others have asked me to put in my copy of the windows DVD but HP never gave me one. I don't know what to do. Thanks for all your help TorrentG. I am not completely bald becuase of you. lol

lol You're welcome.

Open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste this command into it, then hit enter to activate Windows:

Code:
slmgr /ato

If that doesn't work out as planned, then uninstall your current product key with this command:

Code:
slmgr /upk

Then after, hit Windows key + Pause key on the keyboard to bring up the screen where you can manually enter the product key again and activate. As long as the key isn't blacklisted because of being shared or similar reason, this should do the trick.

If not, a phone call to Microsoft may be needed to sort it out. Good luck.

Okay, it looks like I need to give them a call. Also, i don't have a product key for Windows 7. HP preinstalled it on my computer. This is the computer I got from best buy (except it was a dv4-2045dx and cost about $600): Link Removed - Invalid URL

You can check underneath the laptop for a sticker then with the product key. Sometimes, the sticker is located behind the battery when it's removed or in the bay.

TorrentG, this issue is beyond my level of competence so I may be off base with this suggestion, but would it not likely be productive for this person to attempt a system restore? It would seem that if he bought a new computer with the OS preinstalled and it worked normally for some period of time, that a system restore MAY fix what ails it......if there is a suitable restore point still available. If he can once get back to normal operation, then he can address the issues that are giving him problems. ??????

I'm under the impression that the bsods aren't happening any longer, since the OP hasn't posted any new crash dumps or mentioned any happening.

If this is true, I don't think a system restore point would be helpful because then the previous problem(s) that were causing bsod will arise again.

If the only remaining issue is the product key and activation, then checking behind the battery for the key and following my advice about it should be helpful. If not, calling Microsoft to resolve the final issue should be less troublesome then having the bsods again.

So, I guess it comes down to....Eric, are you still getting any bsod or not? And did you find your Windows 7 product key?

Okay, I got the Windows Genuine again. The product number was under my comp. I have still been getting memory dumps and firefox browser crashes. Sorry I haven't posted them yet. It just did a dump again and I had to make it genuine again and it only worked by phone everytime. Here are all of the dumps as of lately. View attachment memory dumps.zip

Also, apparently I didn't have any system early restore points. I know I made some right after getting the computer out of the box as it suggested. They just weren't there. Can something actually delete them?

Back