Windows 8 Corrupted files not fixed by SFC /scannow so now what?

kkay

I had trouble booting from certain rescue disks. I have Win8.1 upgrade from Win8 now. Since then I have had several issues to work out. I thought my backups were working properly, but they are not. I looked at event viewer for File History. Come to find out I had a problem come up there.
It said:
I checked the File History log in Event Viewer, and each hour I get the following Warning:

Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

So then I see in another forum about running SFC /scannow to fix corrupted files. Well I did that, but it did not fix them all. (yes I rebooted after that) So now I have a CBS log, but cannot make heads or tails of that. I will post it last. Why can't Microsoft let you do a scan, and download missing, or corrupt files, straight from their website? I wish they would at least consider it. So, am I going to have to try to use the cd I burned to somehow get these files? I don't see a safe mode for Win8.1, and I am feeling like I'm in over my head on this. If my one allowed copy is messed up, I am going to be up a creek. I bought this computer the first few days of Jan 2013. Everything was fine until I went to Win8.1 via the store. It has been a headache ever since.

I did make a boot copy from Macrium Reflect. It does work. But neither the ESET SysRescue, or the Kaspersky 10 boot. Now I guess I know why, my files are corrupted. I made an ISO via Macrium Reflect, as it had trouble making the WinPe for the boot. Any suggestions? I will post the CBS log if that could help anyone figure this out. Otherwise I may have to start over. That would be a major pain, and many days worth of work. I had File History back ups, or so I thought. So now, the only thing I know I have backed up is my documents, and photos. Those are on a usb flash, as well as My Passport. I would sure appreciate a way to get out of this mess, without starting from scratch.
I uploaded the file, for anyone that might be able to see what is wrong. It was too long to post on the text of this thread. So I had to upload it.

I decided to use the Tweaking.com Windows Repair program, and I'm going to do another SFC /scannow and see what it says this time. Oh, and before this the Check Disk scan was good, with no issues. Well, it still says I have corrupted files, so that didn't fix it.

Attachments

• CBS log copy.txt
    2.9 MB · Views: 781
Last edited:
You ran checkdisk with /F /R parameters correct?

No I didn't run it with those parameters. I didn't know you could do that. Check disk did not find anything, but the sfc /scannnow did. So I would need to run Chkdsk /f, and then when it gets finished run Chkdsk /r? Thank you for mentioning this. Maybe this will help me from having to do major stuff to the computer. :worry:

Run it with both parameters at the same time, look at the report at end to see if it found bad clusters, etc. What exactly does Kapersky and Eset boot disks do when you attempt to boot from them?

I will try what you said. How do you put both at the same time? chkdsk /f/r just like that?
When I put in the av disk, it is like Windows does not recognize it. I just burned them, for emergencies. I was trying to boot them, to make sure they worked. I had to change the bios to
have the first boot at cd/dvd, then the second is the regular windows boot. While I was waiting on your answer,
I looked up some more things you could do with check disk. I found chkdsk /scan, then chkdsk /spotfix. I ran both of them. I
did the chkdsk /scan, then I did the chkdsk /spotfix. I rebooted, and Windows ran the spotfix. (it repairs as well) So then I did
another sfc /scannow. It shows I still have corrupted files. This is not looking promising at all.
I do not think Win8.1 has a regular safe mode. I could try to run these check disk in safe mode, if I knew how to get there. I don't believe F8 works anymore does it?

Last edited:
You can re-enable the old style F8 function, take a look at my post here:

http://windowsforum.com/threads/re-enable-legacy-f8-boot-to-safe-option-in-windows-8-8-1.183179/

System File Checker (sfc) can be a bear, I am seeing permission issues in your file structure. I have few tools in my arsenal that may help.

1) SFCFix (http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe)
2) Tweaking.com's Reset File Permissions (http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/reset_file_permissions.html)

Attempt fixing your permissions, reboot and then try "sfc /scannow" again.

Also let it be known that I do not believe that fixing disk errors using Check Disk, or fixing system files using System File Checker is going to solve you not being able to boot from a bootable CD/DVD.

Either your not burning them correctly, or your BIOS is not set to correctly boot from CD/DVD.

You can re-enable the old style F8 function, take a look at my post here:

http://windowsforum.com/threads/re-enable-legacy-f8-boot-to-safe-option-in-windows-8-8-1.183179/

System File Checker (sfc) can be a bear, I am seeing permission issues in your file structure. I have few tools in my arsenal that may help.

1) SFCFix (http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe)
2) Tweaking.com's Reset File Permissions (http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/reset_file_permissions.html)

Attempt fixing your permissions, reboot and then try "sfc /scannow" again.

Also let it be known that I do not believe that fixing disk errors using Check Disk, or fixing system files using System File Checker is going to solve you not being able to boot from a bootable CD/DVD.

Either your not burning them correctly, or your BIOS is not set to correctly boot from CD/DVD.
One thing came up. I did not restart before running it though. The text popped up, and it said it would save a txt file to
my desktop. It did that. I closed the note that was a pop up. Then I clicked on the desktop file. It saved it to Open Office, and it is garbled, and I can't read it. So I guess I will have to run this again. I think it would be a good idea to run this in safe mode. I had disabled my antivirus, but could not exit. My Dell, was still in taskbar, could not see how to exit that. I will look for more info on how to run SFCFixit. I had closed my browser, and all that. I froze Carbonite. But that might not have been good enough, to run that program. The only thing I remember is it had something to do with an AMD file. There was only one corruption listed, and it could not fix it. Next time I run it, I am going to save the pop up to notepad on my desktop. Oh, it did ask for my windows disk, I put it in, and it read from it.

Okay, I ran it in safe mode using your trick. So it ran like before. I saved the pop up, but it was viewed by Open Office, even though I saved it as a notepad file this time. Garbled again. So, I wrote down the pertinent info. Here it is...
SFCFix version 2.0.5.0
Not Using a File Script
Auto Analysis:
Corrupt: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64-prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_9590ba64d5b91f79\AMD64\CNBJ2530.DPB
Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically.
SBS and SFC total detected corruption count 1
AutoAnalysis: directive completed successfully.
Successfully processed all directives.
Currently storing 0 datablocks

Note: I have an Intel Pentium, not AMD processor. I don't know why it is talking about an AMD. I had an AMD on my laptop. I do backups with Carbonite. I have a Dell 660s Inspiron. So that is strange.

The error your tracking down from System File Checker is not going to fix your boot problem. That being said I think we can still solve the problem.

The prncacla.inf driver file seems to be related to Canon Pixma printing driver (do you have this or a similar printer?)
Looks like the hash of CNBJ2530.DPB may not be matching what is "expected". Again this is not a huge deal at all..

Things to try (try one at a time with SFC done inbetween so your not doing overkill):
1) Re-install the package from which the invalid signature is known to be bad for this particular driver.. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2769165)
2) "dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth" at an elevated command prompt
3) "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" at an elevated command prompt

As far as the AMD reference no its not strange.. AMD64 targets x86-x64 processors developed by both Intel and AMD, its just defined this way.

Again none of this is going to fix your boot from CD/DVD problem... maybe we can tackle that afterwards in a separate thread.

I did a chkdsk /r and it took a long time. This may help too.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Information 1/24/2014 7:51:44 PM Microsoft-Windows-Wininit 1001 None "

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
328960 file records processed.
File verification completed.
3387 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
402920 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 23 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 23 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 23 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
36981 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36771984 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
328944 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
189588328 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

963091455 KB total disk space.
204152620 KB in 199688 files.
121024 KB in 36982 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
464499 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
758353312 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
240772863 total allocation units on disk.
189588328 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 05 05 00 80 9c 03 00 b8 be 06 00 00 00 00 00 ................
ff 0b 00 00 57 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....W...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
"

The error your tracking down from System File Checker is not going to fix your boot problem. That being said I think we can still solve the problem.

The prncacla.inf driver file seems to be related to Canon Pixma printing driver (do you have this or a similar printer?)
Looks like the hash of CNBJ2530.DPB may not be matching what is "expected". Again this is not a huge deal at all..

Things to try (try one at a time with SFC done inbetween so your not doing overkill):
1) Re-install the package from which the invalid signature is known to be bad for this particular driver.. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2769165)

As far as the AMD reference no its not strange.. AMD64 targets x86-x64 processors developed by both Intel and AMD, its just defined this way.

Again none of this is going to fix your boot from CD/DVD problem... maybe we can tackle that afterwards in a separate thread.

I do not have a Canon printer. I have an HP printer. I do however have a Canon camera, and it is a digital one. There are several files on this pc related to that camera. Which one should I uninstall? I am going to work on this probably tomorrow. I think I have reached my max on computer tweaking today...lol. Thank you so very much. I am feeling a little better about this, after hearing your comments. I thought I was going to have to start all over. :)

Oh, I looked at that
KB update. But it shows it is for Win8, not 8.1 ? I would still need that? I am going to be away from computer until this evening. I will look to see your comment on that. I am doing an SFC /scannow to see what it says, before I do more. I think I mentioned I ran a chkdsk /r last night. That was my last thing until today.

Last edited:
I uploaded the CBS copy from this mornings scan. It looks like it has all the scans in the same log. If you go towards the bottom, you see the log from this morning.

Downloaded Win8 file KB2769165
It showed it as Windows8 RT Kb2769165-x86
Is this the correct file to run?

Attachments

• CBS - Copy (3) (1-25-14 morning file).txt
    6.9 MB · Views: 424
Last edited:
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
It said no component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

sfc scannow shows corruption

then I did the
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
It said: The restore operation completed successfully.
The Component Store corruption was repaired. The operation completed successfully.

sfc scannow again:
then it says: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations!

What a huge relief...it looks like the corruption problem is solved. I am still waiting to hear on that KB2769165
update though. I posted about that above. I am so happy about this. THANK YOU very much.

You can ignore the update as long as you can now install all Microsoft Updates.

Josephur, I can install all updates now. But that one particular one is not in my update history. It doesn't come up when I check for new Windows Updates either.

Back
Top Bottom