Windows 7 System File Checker can't repair corrupted files

Nisko

I have run sfc /scannow a number of times (as an administrator) and I always get a message that says System File Checker has found corrupted files but cannot repair some of them. I have opened the Log and have found many files which SFC says are corrupted. In Windows XP, there was an easy way to fix this by placing a copy of the System Files in a folder under C:\Windows. I cannot find a way to do this with Windows 7. It has been suggested that the only way to do this is to perform a repair install. This concerns me as I have also been told that it doesn't always work. My computer runs fine but I'd like to fix this problem so that, when I run SFC /scannow, I will get no more error messages.

Hi Nisko,
can you post a copy of the logs please. To be honest if your machine is running fine then i wouldn't worry too much about it. Often these 'corrupt' files can relate to items which won't hurt the os and if you upload the logs we can have a quick look for you..
I doubt Repair would be the solution although you could try going back using system restore or boot into the advanced boot options (where you find safe mode) and click 'Last good known configuration'.
Lastly try a clean install, change the boot order so you boot from the actual install disk and perform a clean install.

Hi Nisko,
can you post a copy of the logs please. To be honest if your machine is running fine then i wouldn't worry too much about it. Often these 'corrupt' files can relate to items which won't hurt the os and if you upload the logs we can have a quick look for you..
I doubt Repair would be the solution although you could try going back using system restore or boot into the advanced boot options (where you find safe mode) and click 'Last good known configuration'.
Lastly try a clean install, change the boot order so you boot from the actual install disk and perform a clean install.

I worry about it because I'm waiting for the other foot to drop. I have to avoid at all costs performing a clean install. I, seriously, don't think I'll live long enough to reconstruct all the programs and settings on my PC. I can't use System Restore or Last Known Good Configuration because my PC has been in this condition for well over a year. I keep backups but none of them go back nearly that far. I could send a copy of the Log to you but what would you do with it?

Why won't a Repair Install work? Thank you..........

The repair tool basically fixes start up problems, I'm not saying that it won't fix it I'm just saying it's unlikely. Posting your logs just means we can look at what has actually popped up as corrupt. Often it can simply be a case that it's help files which are corrupt which aren't really essential.

Last good known config may still work even though you've left it a year. In any case as i pointed out above you might be worrying for no reason. Post them up and we'll have a look.

It's been a long time. Please tell me how to get at the LOG so I can send it to you. Thank you for the offer and help!

Back