Windows 7 Corruption of Icons

Suffix

I was happily using my copy of 64 bit Windows 7 build 7127, i pinned a few items to the windows 7 taskbar, and all of a sudden the icons for the applications got corrupt, meaning that they wouldnt show a firefox image if it was firefox, or an itunes image if it was firefox, it would show the windows default icon, this is very annoying, it also happens with Windows Live products on occasions, but the unusual thing is, the products icon would revert back to its original if i unpinned it, but as soon as i pin it again, it doesnt work.

thanks for any help you can provide me with, Charlie.

Right-click on the icon that's pinned, choose properties and verify the path to the executable is correct. You can remove the information in the Start In directory. It will not affect the program in any way.

As fas as I know, the only icons that appear that way are older 16-bit apps because it seems Windows 7 requires many sizes and different resolutions of icons for them to display properly.

On reboot, do they revert back correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
ive tried what you suggested and the path to the exe is correct, and also, on reboot, they do revert back correctly, but only for a short ammount of time.

thanks for your help

I'm sorry, but don't think I can be of any more assistance as your using the leaked build, not the official RC

Try This

I am running the 32 bit version and this fix worked for me. Wish I could take credit for it but found it in another forum (not a microsoft forum). If you would like to see it at its forum go here

Link Removed - Invalid URL

and see the reply posted by Kristen

1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
3. Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cla sses\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Wi ndows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify.
4. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
6. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
9. Then if the volume bar isnt there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.

Good luck

thanks man, this fix worked fine, but is it a permanent fix or do i have to keep on doing it?

Charlie

Beats me

I am guessing that since we had to do it once we will have to do it again sooner or later - until MS takes note and fixes it. I have learned that the least you mess with the customize task bar icons the better off you are. If you do go to customize to change the status of an icon I have found it helpful to only do one and then give it a while before you change any others.

I can go in and change 2 or 3 click "OK" on the customize screen and it will bring windows explorer down about half the time. The other half it will jumble up the icons so that maybe Thunderbird will have SmartDefrag's icon and so on.

I also have a problem with icons pinned to the task bar reverting back to the hidden state. I am pretty sure this is caused by the ghost in the machine! That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Frank

If the fix is now permanent, then I am happy for you. It may have been something temporary, hopefully.
But I am surprised that the fix given worked for you! The registry key referred to is only for the System icons in the Notification area (At the right of the taskbar, where the time etc are displayed.)

On the other hand, if you are still having the problem, there could be the possibility of malware on the computer, which could easily have come with your leaked download.
I would suggest you download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware , which is one of the more efficient malware seekers out there, and do a quick scan with it.

I actually already have that anti malware programme installed Davehc, thanks anyway :)

Charlie.

I guess I probably used the wrong terminology but the notification area was where I was having my problem. Sorry for the confusion. I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run it every day. Outside of the notification area I have had no other problems with the taskbar. If the problem apears again I am going to start uninstalling programs in the reverse order of installation and see if it is a software conflict

As a long time XP user who skipped Vista I must say I do like 7.

Frank

Thanks stealthpiper your solution fixed this strange and rather annoying problem for me :)

Back
Top Bottom