Windows 8 Could use some info about replacing my motherboard

BlessYahowah

I am running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit on an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB3, which is not 100% compatible with Windows 8, as it turns out. So I will be receiving from a vendor an ASUS M5A99FX EVO R2.0 tomorrow and will replace the older board. Fortunately, my current processor and RAM are compatible with the new motherboard, too. :livid:

This Windows 8 Pro 64-bit is an upgrade to my old Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS. I bought it from Amazon.com, so it wasn't a download that I could burn an ISO from. So here's my question: Will I have to reinstall Windows 7, then reinstall the upgrade after I replace the motherboard (which uses a different chip set than its predecessor), and then do the phone-in activation? Is there some wonderful way to save my current personalizations and reapply them to the new OS so that I don't have to totally reinvent the wheel?

I build my own systems and am comfortable doing whatever I need to do, but knowing up front what I will need to do would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do a system image and see if that would work for you using Acronis, Marcum Reflect, Aoemi.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I always thought that system images were peculiar to each hardware configuration. At least, that's how it was at the huge corporation I used to work for before I retired. We had a different image of XP Professional for every model of Dell laptop and desktop there was (the place was exclusively Dell/Windows). But what the heck. The worst it can do is fail. I have all my data backed up on external USB and other systems, so I won't lose anything but time if imaging doesn't work.

I appreciate the idea and the quick response.

I just built mine. Using a MSI motherboard and was able to do a clean install of Windows 8 without putting Windows 7 in first. It might have been because I also replaced my HDD at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom