BugMeNot

Banned
System specs:
Athlon XP 2100 (1.7 Ghz)
1GB DDR
Radeon 9000 (Powercolor)
built in 100 LAN, AC97

Situation:
Installing Vista took about an hour. I'm seriously!
Booting into the desktop is painfully slow. Task Manager shows the CPU spiked to 100%, but on closer inspection, no process in the list of "All Users" shows what's taking up the resource.

All other desktop tasks are a SLIDE SHOW: opening windows, right clicking items, My Computer, Start menu, etc. I won't even bother commenting on the administrative popups and how long they take to appear and disappear.

My first instinct was to search for 'cpu 100% max' and found other posts scattered throughout:
* disable the SSPD service. -- made no difference for me.
* disable the DNS Client service. -- made no difference for me.

Then I tried disabling all manner of new services (whole bunch of compatibility services, ReadyBoost(sic?), etc.) - but stopping those services didn't help.

My next target is the crappy video card. The Vista Experience monitor gives that particular video card an Experience Score of 1.0 - ouch! It's without a doubt a budget, entry level card from 5 years ago. But even with a crappy video card and Aero turned off, shouldn't be pegging the CPU at max.

Booting into Safe Mode gives my system great performance - as I would expect.

Does anyone have these kind of problems or heard of any other problems with the CPU maxed out?

When you went into Task Manager did you look at the CPU utilization of processes?

Back
Top Bottom